Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to remote control Kubuntu desktop from Windows 7 laptop?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best way to remote control Kubuntu desktop from Windows 7 laptop?

Originally posted by perspectoff
    My success with Krfb as a VNC server has always been intermittent.

I always use XVNC as a VNC server -- rock solid, fast, and never misses a pixel.

I use it with any Windows VNC client, of which UltraVNC is my favourite (but TightVNC is a close second).

Yes, Putty is the only SSH connector worthwhile in Windows, but in the past some tweaks were necessary to tune it up for OpenSSH access (at least for the security keys).

So, my setup is to have Putty as the Windows client for the SSH tunnel and OpenSSH as the SSH server on Kubuntu, and UltraVNC for the Windows VNC client and X11VNC on Kubuntu as the VNC server. (I use this every day.)

There are very detailed instructions at Kubuntuguide:

http://www.kubuntuguide.info/index.p...#Remote_Access
    From your "Natty#Remote_Access" link:
    Although Krfb is the default VNC server in Kubuntu/KDE, it does not work with KDE4 (Intrepid, Jaunty, Karmic). X11VNC does work well with KDE4/Kubuntu and is recommended instead.
    I know the documentation is for Natty, but that doesn't mean it is current. Does anyone know if Krfb works RELIABLY with the KDE4.x desktop?

X11VNC requires tcl and tk, which are pretty old scripting languages. PostgreSQL 7.x and prior releases used to have a front end dev tool written in TCL, which I played with. It was very klutzy because TCL was klutzy. Even though I have tcl8.5 already installed, X11VNC wanted to install tcl & tk version 8.4.16-2
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by ajc00
      Open a Konsole / Terminal
      type:
      apt-get install openssh-server
      confirm the installation and then wait.
      Once the installation is complete, check its running and listening for connections by typing
      netstat -a | grep ssh
      it should return
      tcp 0 0 *:ssh *:* LISTEN
      Just tried that and got:
      Code:
      netstat -a | grep ssh
      tcp    0   0 *:ssh          *:*           LISTEN   
      tcp6    0   0 [::]:ssh        [::]:*         LISTEN
      which means that TCPIPv6 ssh is active as well.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I tried the Chicken of the VNC on MacOS X. krfb and tightvnc-server seem laggy and don't seem to let the remote screen update; x11vnc works fine.
        Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

NX works well too

http://www.nomachine.com/select-pack...?os=linux&id=1
          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Originally posted by perspectoff
            Originally posted by MoonRise
            Wow! Never heard of TeamViewer. Nice piece of software and it's free for the Home User. Great!
            Is TeamViewer a hosted-server type of app -- like GoToMyPC, etc.?

Those types of apps use centralised servers as the exchange point, which means the companies servers have all your information that is being shared, unless encryption on each end is used (like Skype does).

If sensitive data is being shared, I never trust such a type of data-sharing mechanism, as man-in-the-middle attacks are easy (when the man-in-the-middle is the sharing service itself).

How, exactly does Teamviewer work?
            No its not is just an app that makes and account and links it with your computer info on firewall and blah blah...has VPN and many other stuff check it out at http://www.teamviewer.com/es/index.aspx

mmm Just noticed the link is in spanish...just go to the english one XD

My opinion Teamviewer is the best option for this topic...almost no config done...control remote out of the box...no Install needed in Windows (is portable) runs perfect and many config options for the effects and remote control and more...

Comment

From the free VOIP tool "Brosix" is this desktop sharing/controlling option:
              [img width=322 height=400]http://www.brosix.com/images/features/screensharing_start.png[/img]

There are free clients for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Comment

Working...
              X