This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transfering data from a Windows NTFS partition to a Linux ext4 partition

After showing my Kubuntu computer to my friends a couple of them decided that they wanted to switch from Windows to Kubuntu. Of course, me being the tech savy one, I'm helping them get installed and running properly and the way they want it on their computers. One thing I'm not sure about is how to transfer data from a Windows NTFS hard drive to a second, Linux ext4 hard drive. Something else I'd like to know before I attempt it (in case I run into trouble) is how to transfer data from a Windows NTFS partition to a Linux ext4 partition then they are both on the same hard drive.

Re: Transfering data from a Windows NTFS partition to a Linux ext4 partition

If you are intent on keeping the NTFS format, then the destination HD partition needs to be formatted NTFS. If all you want to do is copy the NTFS data to the ext4 HD partition, then you need to have access (read/write) to the NTFS HD from within the booted Linux OS. You can do that by installing ntfs-config. See this Automount NTFS drives in Linux - Tutorial for a nice explanation. Nicely written and easy to follow.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, I'll try this. The goal is to transfer data from windows to Linux, so that windows can be removed and replaced entirely with Linux.

Comment

Just to mention, Linux will play well with MS, not the other way around. So you'll be transferring the files from within Kubuntu. But it really is seamless with the right configuration.
        Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
        Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
        Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Working...
        X