This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC still suspends to ram after 15 mins [Re-Opened]

OK I thought this issue was solved and the work around with "Kpowersave" did work but it wound up slowing down my machines.(Many thanks to rfakhrai for his help.) Since I am not satisfied with the loss in speed in order to manage power I am now back to looking for an actual fix for the power management settings not doing what you want them to do. Or should I just wait for the next release of Kubuntu which is supposed to be termed stable at the end of the month?

I have Kubuntu 9.10 installed for just a couple of weeks on 2 sony vaio's one an older laptop the second
    an all in one 64 bit with the 64 bit version of Kubuntu9.10. I thought I would have the all in one do a constant slide-show of photo's for aesthetics due to its location in the room. But when I set the power management for performance and set that to do nothing after xx minutes of being Idle. it accepts the new settings when I hit accept, then shuts down the screen( or suspends to ram not sure which) after a few minutes. I found the power management functions by going to

Kmenu - System Settings - Advanced tab- Power Management

Any help would be appreciated. Also I started to play with the same settings on both laptop and the all-in-one thinking the difference might be the 64 bit version. No dice as changing the settings had no affect in either machine. Both machines still shut down the screen (or suspend to ram ) instead of leaving the screen on and the slideshow from the desktop running for all to see.
    3 machines running Kubuntu9.10 still working on the dual boot and sharing a printer with win 7

Re: PC still suspends to ram after 15 mins

You can install kpowersave. It'll be a tray icon and you can switch between schemes easily. Also, I've found it pretty effectively takes control of the power management in the system.

Try it and report back.
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Re: PC still suspends to ram after 15 mins

Worked like a charm thanks for the help. I really appreciate it. I have said in another post that I am trying to convert all my pc's to Kubuntu and I keep having little hiccups like this for which I can never seem to find a straight answer in previous threads. (yes I do look) So again thanks for the help.
      3 machines running Kubuntu9.10 still working on the dual boot and sharing a printer with win 7

Comment

Re: PC still suspends to ram after 15 mins [SOLVED]

I know where you're coming from. Being a proficient linux user requires the ability to find convenient work-arounds until you can become familiar enough with the problem to fix it for good. At least that's my method; and it's gotten me screwed too many times to count! But ya gotta love tinkering.

Keep asking questions!
        Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200

Comment

Re: PC still suspends to ram after 15 mins [Re-Opened]

Please see modified first post as to why this thread was re-opened.

Comment

do you have any data from the process manager supporting your claim that KPowerSave is slowing down your machine? I've never seen it use more than a couple K of ram and a glance of CPU. Most of the time it sleeps anyway.

Maybe I'm not familiar enough with your setup; can you Ctrl+Esc and look for kpowersave? What's its consumption?

Comment

system activity for Kpowersave shows
              Name Username CPU% Memory Shared Mem Window Title
              Kpowersave bryan 4927 K 10536 K

Ok so this data doesn't show Kpowersave to be the culprit but when I took it off my other machine it sped back up, where this one is still slow.

Comment

Working...
              X