This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Kubuntu terminal issues

Everytime I try to enter something into the Terminal I get this message: [sudo] password for kris:
    I know kris is my username but why does it keep showing this? Do I have to create a password for sudo or what?

Re: Kubuntu terminal issues

Hello kingtidus390!
    Linux is a very secure and safe OS. It has only one account with administration rights: sudo. In Ubuntu you usually don't use the sudo account itself but give rights to users to get the sudo state temporaly. When you want to get this state, you have to type "sudo" before the command and then type in the password of the account you are using; in this case the password for the kris account. Here is the officiall documentation page about this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by kingtidus390
      Everytime I try to enter something into the Terminal...
      Depends on what you are trying to execute. If it is a command requiring 'root' permissions, you get this response. If you are trying to edit a root owned file, you get this response.

Give us an example of what you are typing when you get this response.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well I figured it out, I had to type in my password even though I couldn't see it being typed. I now have a different and more difficult problem. Everytime I type in sudo apt-get install wine, I get this output:

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
        requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
        distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
        or been moved out of Incoming.
        The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
        wine: Depends: wine1.2 but it is not going to be installed
        E: Broken packages

Help?

Comment

What version of Kubuntu are you running, as well as what version of KDE?
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
            What version of Kubuntu are you running, as well as what version of KDE?
            I am running Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala. I think the version of KDE is 4.4 but I'm not sure.

I now have set up a dual boot of Kubuntu 9.10 KK and Windows XP. I installed Win XP first and then installed Kubuntu Karmic Koala KKK lol.
            Kubuntu runs perfectly fine while Windows XP has trouble booting.

Comment

I think unintentionally I solved my problem with wine. It seems to be working fine now.
              I think reinstalling Kubuntu fixed the problem.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Kubuntu terminal issues

Actually, "sudo" is not an account. It is an app (SuperUser Do).

When you install Kubuntu the first account created, by default, is THE admin account. Its password is also the password for accessing root activities via the sudo command. The second and subsequent users cannot use their password, nor the password of the first account, to do root activities. To give admin capabilities to users of those accounts they must be added to the sudo group, an action only the first account user can do.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                X