This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved]Nautilus installed with Dropbox ; best method to remove it

I recently installed dropbox from the .deb package on the dropbox site. Everything istalled fine and works correctly.

However, last night I realised that nautilus had been istalled (I guess it's a dependency or something...). Now whenever I insert removable media nautilus seems to take over and I can't find the removable media in dolphin.

I want to remove nautilus but wouldn't mind checking with people here about the best way to do that before I start deleting things I possibly need. Obviously I'd like to keep Dropbox in it's current working format, and I'm assuming that removing nautilus would affect that.

I also wondered if it might just be easier to remove Dropbox altogether and re-install it with another, more kubuntu specific method...

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

I'm running Karmic Koala (32 bit)

Thanks

Re: Nautilus installed with Dropbox ; best method to remove it

File Associations

Access via K > Applicaitons > System Settings > Advanced > File Associations or from Konqueror > Settings > Configure Konqueror... > General > File Associations
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I should probably have stated that I'd use the workaround of stopping nautilus running when I insert any other media. However, I'd rather not have nautilus hanging around at all. No way to remove it without removing Dropbox as well?

I've been looking around googling this topic and it would seem I have to uninstall Dropbox and re-install from a tar file. I've given it a go :
      Code:
      tar xjvf dropbox-lnx.x86.tar.bz
      which seems to run successfully, but then get stuck at
      Code:
       mv .dropbox-dist/ ~/
      where i get the error message [loose translation]
      mv: cannot move .dropbox-dist' to /home/mike/Public/dropbox/.dropbox-dist': the folder is not empty
      I realise that I've probably started to switch topics here but does anyone have any suggestions to help me get the mv command working ?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by miKeyBabid
        does anyone have any suggestions to help me get the mv command working ?

Thanks
        Well, you are being told that ~/.dropbox-dist (the DESTINATION) already exists. Within your users home directory, type:
        Code:
        ls -la
        and you should see that .dropbox-dist already exists.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: [solved]Nautilus installed with Dropbox ; best method to remove it

Thanks for taking the time to point out the obvious to me

Turns out it was quite a simple affair to get dropbox installed without nautilus.

thanks again.

Comment

Working...
          X