This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Sound Module Issues

First off, I am brand new to Linux and especially Kubuntu. I had a nightmare installing it on my 64-bit Gateway P6880-FX. However, by installing Ubuntu 9.10 and manually adding the KDE Desktop Environment I am finally up and running. I had several issues with this system recognizing various hardware and through Google I have been able to resolve almost all issues. The main problem now is that I cannot get my laptop to play any sound. I have checked the volume and mute options to verify everything is turned up, but for some reason I cannot hear anything. In Windows this is usually corrected by updating a driver file, however in Kubuntu attempting to load Modules is not solving the problem. I have tried several different tactics I found on the web such as using gedit to modify /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf to add the line :
    options snd-hda-intel model = hp-dv5
    I have no idea what most of the things I have are meant for, but they were tips directed at other users with similar problems. I have tried to update asla via the KPackageKit, to no avail.

My question is this: What should I do, or what information should I post, to get my sound to work?

So far Kubuntu seems to be easy to use, very advanced, and very fast compared to Windows. However using Windows my whole life and for my business I run, Kubuntu still seems very foreign to me. I am willing to learn I just need a little direction. Thanks for reading this and have a wonderful day.

Re: Kkubuntu Sound Module Issues

First, welcome to Linux, Kubuntu, and KFN.

Sound is one of the sticklers for many - unfortunately. Have you taken a look at:

[HOWTO] Solving Audio Problems in Karmic (installing latest Alsa and Pulse)
    HdaIntelSoundHowto

Open a console and type:
    Code:
    lspci | grep [Au]dio
    and paste the output into your reply. This identifies the Audio controller you have in your rig.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Kubuntu Sound Module Issues

Yes I have seen both of those articles but unfortunately I do not have the sound icon in my task tray. As stated I did verify that everything is turned up from System Settings > Multimedia. In this window however, I have several devices listed, yet they are grayed out. The only available is Pulse. the Output of the Terminal is:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)

Comment

Is Pulse Audio at the top of listed items? If it isn't, click on it and move it to the top. Also, while it is clicked, click the Test button.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

PulseAudio is now listed at the top in system settings > multimedia. I still have no sound. What should I try next?

Comment

Maybe this part from Dibl will help.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...1624#msg221624

Comment

Working...
            X