This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Few Questions about Kubuntu

Hi...new to the forum...i had recently tried Kubuntu 10.04 and had problems and ended up uninstalling and went back to Ubuntu....I should have come here to ask for some possible solutions, which is what i am doing now as i am considering giving it another go..

1) When i installed Kubuntu Restricted Extras, my flash videos on You Tube had no sound....Also, i could not stream radio broadcasts either (like Wabc, Kabc, etc..) Didn't seem like the package added radio stream plug ins (like it does in Ubuntu Restricted Extras for SURE)...plus the no sound on flash videos problem of course....

2) K Package Kit did not work for adding software....only when doing updates...I ended up having to add in Package Manager even just to install the "restricted extras"

3) I would click "apply" to something (say for example...changing the display fade out from the default 15 minutes to 1 hr) and it did not change (and i definately clicked on apply)...

4) How come only two Screen savers available? Shouldn't there be a whole bunch in there..such as Ubuntu has?
    When i clicked on one of the Screen Savers that was there, and hit "apply" it still didn't appear...even though i set the time for it to start (30 minutes of no activity)...

By the way, i previously tried Kubuntu 9.10 and had the exact same problems so i don't think it related to the fact that 10.04 was an Alpha...

When installing Ubuntus i never had these problems (same laptop..a 1 year old Toshiba) so i was completely lost in solving these issues...

Help and Feedback appreciated

Re: A Few Questions about Kubuntu

Welcome to the Kubuntu/KDE side.

1) When i installed Kubuntu Restricted Extras, my flash videos on You Tube had no sound....Also, i could not stream radio broadcasts either (like Wabc, Kabc, etc..) Didn't seem like the package added radio stream plug ins (like it does in Ubuntu Restricted Extras for SURE)...plus the no sound on flash videos problem of course....
    Here the flash audio is working fine. Searching a bit > Kubuntu Forums Search. A pick > Topic: [solved] No audio from flash player .

2) K Package Kit did not work for adding software....only when doing updates...I ended up having to add in Package Manager even just to install the "restricted extras"
    There are lot of package managers > FAQ: Package Managers. Many (?) users are using the Synaptic package manager > Synaptic and the Kubuntu

3) I would click "apply" to something (say for example...changing the display fade out from the default 15 minutes to 1 hr) and it did not change (and i definately clicked on apply)...
    Could you give a bit more information ?
    What application ?
    Where it is (System Settings) ?

4) How come only two Screen savers available? Shouldn't there be a whole bunch in there..such as Ubuntu has?
    When i clicked on one of the Screen Savers that was there, and hit "apply" it still didn't appear...even though i set the time for it to start (30 minutes of no activity)...
    This is not Gnome/Ubuntu.

Maybe the Kubuntu developers are thinking that the users can only install those bits that they need/want. A thread from the > kubuntu-devel >> Screensaver defaults:
    Scott Kitterman
    Wed Sep 16 11:31:09 BST 2009

>JR agrees on not shipping savers by default but thinks hooking
    >update-notifier in the KCM. I am going to move the bug to -workspace
    >for implementation, unless anyone disagrees with that course of
    >action?

I think it's fine for Karmic plus one. It'd be a low priority feature
    change for Karmic and not what we should FFe for.

Scott K

For the KDE/Kubuntu 9.10:
    Code:
    apt-cache search kscreensaver
    kscreensaver - Additional screensavers released with KDE 4
    kscreensaver-xsavers - xscreensaver support for KDE 4
    kscreensaver-xsavers-extra - universe xscreensaver support for KDE 4
    kscreensaver-xsavers-webcollage - webcollage screensaver support for KDE 4
    kscreensaver-kde3 - additional screen savers released with KDE3
    kscreensaver-xsavers-extra-kde3 - KDE3 hooks for standard xscreensavers
    kscreensaver-xsavers-kde3 - KDE3 hooks for standard xscreensavers
    kscreensaver-xsavers-webcollage-kde3 - webcollage screensaver KDE3 hook

Links:
    > HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help
    > Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks for your input...that did help...
      I was wondering...if you have installed Kubuntu Restricted Extras....what additional codecs do you need to streaming radio on the internet? This package doesn't seem to include them like it does with Ubuntu Restricted Extras...

Comment

Receive streaming radio or transmit it.

VLC can do either. Just copy in the stream URL into the appropriate input box.

Or, you can install "Streamtuner" from the repository.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks...although i meant the plug ins that enable you to listen to shoutcast radio as well as the streaming tuners on the radio station's websites (examples: WABC in New York KABC in Los Angeles, etc)....

On Ubuntu...the Restricted Extras Package included the gstreamer plug ins and one of them makes the streaming radio work...
          Though i would imagine you have to use different plug in(s) for Kubuntu....

Comment

Nope.

Ubuntu contains KDE4 compatibility libraries and Kubuntu contains GNOME compatibility libraries, enabling each to run the other's apps. In fact, you can install BOTH GNOME and KDE4 as dekstops and choose which you want to run at user login.

Open Synaptic and search for "streamer". Install what you want.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
              Nope.

Ubuntu contains KDE4 compatibility libraries and Kubuntu contains GNOME compatibility libraries, enabling each to run the other's apps. In fact, you can install BOTH GNOME and KDE4 as dekstops and choose which you want to run at user login.

Open Synaptic and search for "streamer". Install what you want.
              Interesting...so could i install the Ubuntu Restricted Extras instead of the Kubuntu Restricted Extras...in Kubuntu and it would work just as it would in Ubuntu?

The reason i am asking is because i had great success using Ubuntu Restricted Extras when running Ubuntu.....
              (Keep in mind that my Kubuntu install is a pure Kubuntu install...not a Ubuntu/Kubuntu Combo created by adding the KDE packages to Ubuntu)....

Your feedback is most appreciated on this

Comment

Originally posted by craig10x
                Interesting...so could i install the Ubuntu Restricted Extras instead of the Kubuntu Restricted Extras...in Kubuntu and it would work just as it would in Ubuntu?
                Don't know. Never tried it. There is an easier way.

Do the first "sudo wget ...", then skip half way down and pick up the "sudo apt-get" right after the first "With the entire Medibuntu repository". After that skip to the second "With the entire Medibuntu repository" and do one of the "sudo apt-get" there.

Then you can open Synapic, reload the repositories, search for vlc, etc. and install them.

Comment

You may find this useful as well - there is a specific command for kubuntu

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

HTH

Ian

Comment

Shoutcast etc...

i meant the plug ins that enable you to listen to shoutcast radio as well as the streaming tuners on the radio station's websites

The > Shoutcast wiki

Settings: K > System Settings > Advanced > File Associations > .pls

Set the default player.

[img width=400 height=293]http://img641.imageshack.us/img641/4468/systemsettingspls.png[/img]

After this the integrated webrowsers can use the dedicated player to play the stream.

[img width=400 height=339]http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/5691/konquerorpls.png[/img]

Here the player is the Bangarang > Topic: Media Players

[img width=400 height=248]http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/8615/bangarangpls.png[/img]

If the browser is not integrated to the KDE (Firefox, Opera, ...) it will ask what you want to do with the file (.pls).

[img width=400 height=284]http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/428/operapls.png[/img]

I don't have the GStreamer packages, earlier > Re: Why do we have PulseAudio?

Metapackages

/1/ > MetaPackages:
                    Introduction

One of the handy features of apt (the packaging system used by Ubuntu) is the use of metapackages. These packages do not contain actual software, they simply depend on other packages to be installed...
                    ubuntu-restricted-extras: Introduced in Feisty, this package depends on some commonly used packages in the Ubuntu multiverse repository. It installs support for java, flash, microsoft truetype fonts, and many multimedia codecs.

-restricted-extras

> -restricted-extras
                    You have searched for packages that names contain ubuntu-restricted-extras in suite(s) karmic, all sections, and all architectures. Found 3 matching packages.
                    There are:
                    - ubuntu-restricted-extras
                    - kubuntu-restricted-extras
                    - xubuntu-restricted-extras

The differense seems to be that the kubuntu-restricted-extras (karmic) is installing:

libk3b6-extracodecs
                    The KDE cd burning application library - runtime files

libmp3lame0 /1/
                    An MP3 encoding library

libxine1-ffmpeg
                    MPEG-related plugins for libxine1

but it is not installing GStreamer packages or the libmp4v2-0.

/1/ I think that the K3b needs the lame (+liblame) > Topic: No MP3 in K3B even with libk3b6-extracodecs installed
                    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks guys...your posts were very informative and helpful

Well, i guess i can try either doing the Kubuntu Restricted Extras and try adding in some gstreamers plug ins for the streaming radio...i think it was the plugs from the "Bad" set (lol) that worked the steams in Ubuntu....

If that doesn't work out i think i read that the mplayer plug in (now called Gecko media player plug in) might do it as it believe Linux Mint uses that in their pre-installed codec package for the radio streams...

Failing those...i give the Medibuntu package a shot...hope it adds in the radio stream plug ins!
                      I see the Medibuntu site offers a 3rd party deb file that should install the whole thing with a deb instead of going into the terminal...might try that...

Comment

hear the streaming radio is being played by gmplayer in firefox and bangarang in Konqueror.

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I'm new to Kubuntu as well but have used Ubuntu for 5 years. When I installed kubuntu-restricted-extras (just last night as a matter of fact) I launched Firefox, went to youtube, started a video.... no sound. So I right clicked the volume control applet in the bottom right of the screen on the taskbar and brought up KMixer (I think that's what it was called).

The PCM slider was all the way to the bottom. I slid it to the top and then had sound in flash as well as being able to stream internet radio in Amarok.

Simple as that.... at least in my case. Maybe that will help you as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X