This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF!! Just updated, kubuntu stopped working

I did the 1st ever system update hoping it would fix a few things with the OS

next thing I know, I do a restart, it restarts then the keyboard/mouse doesn't work, so I do another restart and kubuntu freezes up on a command line!

wow, 1st hours with this OS and I already broke it. Guess linux isn't for everyone or every comp

Re: WTF!! Just updated, kubuntu stopped working

Guess linux isn't for everyone or every comp
    True, but then the PC OEMs don't share their device data with Kernel or distrod devs the way they do with Microsoft. What's amazing is how bad Windows can be even with all that inside help.

First, when ever there are so many problems with your installation it gives me cause to suggest that perhaps your ISO didn't pass md5sum check after you downloaded it, or perhaps you never took the second option on the LiveCD menu to check the CD for errors. Did your ISO and burn pass muster?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I used wubu, which it downloaded it for me actually... I did not use an ISO.

Comment

This is what it says:

its just a command like (DOS like?) thing before boot

Minimal BASH - like line editing is supported. for the first word TAB lists possible command completions. Anywhere else TAB lists possible device/file completions.

sh:grub>

Comment

This could be one of a couple of things. A few things to try

From the command line type startx and hit return.

What error message do you get?

Then type sudo startx and hit return then enter your password and hit return again

What happens then?

Comment

What has me concerned is the the prompt is actually a GRUB prompt and he gets it before boot. What that tells me is GRUB is having issues and probably due to a failed kernel update since he just did an update not an install. At least that is how I read this.

Comment

If what you are saying moonrise is correct then I for one am stumped

Reading other messages from the OP he would appear to have had issues from the start. I cannot help wondering whether much of it is due to the wubi install. I have never used this myself. I was unaware that with that process it is unnecessary to create a disk or usb bootup medium. In that case, the risks of something going wrong must be rather high I think and when it does without you having media a way back is difficult to say the least.

Razorseal - With the benefit of my first-class honours degree in hindsight, I would say the best course of action is to uninstall it from within windows (I assume that's how you would do it) and then download an ISO and burn a live CD. Then run it live - don't install it until you are satisfied your hardware works properly at least.

Comment

Pretty sure it's a GRUB 2 issue related to the Wubi installation.
                1st para.:
                http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275
                https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...9/comments/210
                general: https://launchpad.net/wubi
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I guess I could have gone further. If it is an issue as I stated and this is a WUBI isntall, then from the GRUB boot menu (NOT MS's boot menu where you choose Windows or Kubuntu) choose the kernel option that is one version down from the one that is listed first (This would be the third entry down from what the example below shows). If it boots then hopefully you can repair the update of the faulty kernel update. Please note that to get to the GRUB menu depends on what version of GRUB you are on. I believe ESC was the original way and you need to press that just after selecting Kubuntu in the MS boot menu. I've use a WUBI install once, so I'm not totally sure of the boot process as my memory of that is somewhat skewed by my everyday use machines.

EDIT: Ahhh... Q beat me to the punch!

Comment

I've never used Wubi, so I think he needs both posts ... for starters.
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Ack!!! Forgot the "example". Here it is:

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X