This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved]10.04 New Install

Hi everyone. I am new here and new to Kubuntu. I am so-so with Linux as I have used it off and on for a few years. I have yet to take the full plunge.....

That said, over the weekend I tried several times to install Kubuntu 10.04 alpha3 several times with no success. I tried different ISO's, different burn speeds and different computers from which I burned from. To be more specific, the live cd would boot but ubiquity would not run. I did try to just install upon boot but it failed to. I ended up installing 9.10 and the from the command prompt I upgraded to 10.04. Ultimately that worked but I now have a boot problem (that I got when I did get a fresh install of 10.04 once (forgot to mention that)). It just hangs and the new plymouth splash screen. I figured out I could hit ESC upon boot and it bypasses that and gets me to the login. I guess my long winded point is, how do I fix that?

Thanks and sorry for the long winded question. Other than that.....I am loving it and I never used to like KDE.

Re: 10.04 New Install

Originally posted by kprowell
    Hi everyone. I am new here and new to Kubuntu. I am so-so with Linux as I have used it off and on for a few years. I have yet to take the full plunge.....
    Well you certainly have now! I would say that your best bet would be to stick with 9.10. As 10.04 is still in Alpha the only thing you are likely to gain from using that in preference to 9.10 is to acquire a higher pain threshold

As you can create version parity in 9.10 (at least in KDE which to my mind is the main thing) I see little mileage for me to upgrade to 10.04 until it's at least beta.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Liquidator.... I hear what you are saying but I am here now (10.04) so I might as well keep swimming so to speak. Hopefully there will be a fix to that minor issue I am having during boot.

Comment

Not a problem, good luck with it

Comment

Oh, the determination of the adventurous.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I replaced my Karmic with Lucid on 2/28, and haven't regretted it.

Three days ago I experimented with the 3/10/10 daily Lucid LiveCD by booting it and then installing it to an 8GB USB stick. During the boot phase I noticed several kernel and other error messages which previous daily Lucid LiveCDs didn't exhibit.

The install went well and the USB stick booted up nicely to a working installation, not another LiveCD. I then rebooted and during the power off phase unplugged the USB stick. To my surprise the UUID of the USB stick became part of the grub.cfg file on the HD grub installation. Booting to the HD resulted in a grub rescue screen which honored no grub commands. So, I rebooted the USB stick, downloaded Super GRUB2 Disk 1.30, burned it and booted it. That got my HD Lucid installation running. I then reinstalled all of the grub files from the repository and rebooted.
            Installed:
            grub2 (1.98-1ubuntu1) (which is a dummy package that brings in all the other necessary pkgs but, to be sure, I ...

Reinstalled the following packages:
            grub-common (1.98-1ubuntu1)
            grub-pc (1.98-1ubuntu1)

My lucid installation came up normally.

So, as a suggestion, try reinstalling GRUB2.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: 10.04 New Install[solved]

GreyGeek...
              Thanks for the tip. I reinstalled Grub2 and now it boots without having to hold the Esc key. It doesn't display the new Ubuntu splash but who cares. Thanks again!

Comment

Re: [solved]10.04 New Install

Our pleasure! (everyone adds to the solution!)

Looks like you have the same problem.
                On my Sony VAIO the "splash" option in the grub2 menu for my kernel causes the boot process to hang, so I have to remove it to avoid the splash screen in order to allow the boot up to complete and the desktop to appear. Not to worry. It will get worked out in one of the updates before Lucid goes Gold!
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

It also helps to add the option "nomodeset" to the kernelparameters in /boot/grub/menu.lst.
                  The kernel line should look somehow like this:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-16-generic root=UUID=some-strange-digits ro notsc splash nomodeset

ro, notsc, splash might not apply to your system. It's the nomodeset that did the trick on my installation.

regards,
                  Hans-Peter

Comment

Originally posted by hpg
                    It also helps to add the option "nomodeset" to the kernelparameters in /boot/grub/menu.lst.
                    Kubuntu Lucid doesn't use the original grub, it uses GRUB2, which does not use menu.lst. Wish it did, however, because it is a lot easier to change the boot order, menu timing, etc., in the old Grub menu.list than it is tweeking /etc/default/grub.cfg and several numbered script files. Counting "menuentry" lines to figure out the number of the kernel you want to boot is nonsense.

Comment

Grub2, no grub anymore? Strange. I updated to lucid when it was alpha1 and do daily updates. On my system grub is installed and grub2 is not. I got the nomodeset solution from launchpad/ubutu, if my memory serves me right. So it seems as if grub is not completely dead in lcuid.

Is there a migration path from grub to grub2?

Comment

Originally posted by hpg
                        Grub2, no grub anymore? Strange. I updated to lucid when it was alpha1 and do daily updates. On my system grub is installed and grub2 is not. I got the nomodeset solution from launchpad/ubutu, if my memory serves me right. So it seems as if grub is not completely dead in lcuid.
                        GRUB2 is used by default on new installations of 9.10 and 10.04, machines that have been continually upgraded from 9.04 or previous should still use GRUB legacy by default.

Is there a migration path from grub to grub2?
                        You can follow these instructions:
                        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...ding to GRUB 2

Comment

Working...
                        X