This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

biting off more than I can chew - SHARING A PRINTER

It's hard to split a topic with two questions into two threads when all the responses include help for both questions.

However, I will attempt to answer the 2nd question and then spit this topic into two threads, with the printer question being the second thread.

I have my Linksys WRT54GL wireless router set to dispense IP addresses starting with 192.168.1.100 and going up for 5 addresses.

I set up my Samsung ML-1210 laser as a network printer, initially connecting it directly to the back of the wireless router with an eth cable. I then always had to make SURE that after the wireless was turned on that it was turned on second, so it would be given the IP address of 192.168.1.100. Then I set the PCs using the wireless to access the printer as a network printer with an address of 192.168.1.100. Problems arose. My wife would often turn on her laptop first, realize that she hadn't turned on the wireless router, turn it on, and then before the printer could come up, she had been given the *.100 IP address. He next complaint was "the printer doesn't print!".

My solution to sharing a printer among PCs on a local network was to hook the printer up to a wireless print server which is also cabled to our Linksys wireless router. I configure the wireless print server to give the printer a FIXED address of 192.168.1.99, which is below the starting range for my Linksys wireless router. Then, all PC's on the 192.168.1.* subnet only have configure the printer as a network printer using "socket://192.168.1.99:9100", which never changes regardless of the order of booting of the PCs or of the wireless, or the printer.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: biting off more than I can chew - SHARING A PRINTER

Thanks for splitting this thread I realized it was a mistake after I had created it.

OK as for the printer I have a Hp deskjet F4180 and the router I use is a LinksysWRT350N.

Previously I had the printer going usb to a vista pc and everyone would from thier respective pc log into the vista pc from across the network then select the printer and print. I was hoping this would be something I could do with kubuntu, I know it can be done just wether or not I can get it to do so. Now If I hook up the same printer to the same pc now running only kubuntu and itself now wireless can I do the same thing? The network will be an even mix of win7 and kubuntu when I am done ...for now.

As for the wireless print server I have never dug into that concept or thought about at all. Is that software I put on this machine or a box from the local computer shop?

3 machines running Kubuntu9.10 still working on the dual boot and sharing a printer with win 7

Comment

samba is the windows file/printer sharing software if you're hooking the printer up to the linux box.

lots of threads here and on ubuntu forums about how to set it up. It's pretty easy if you're only sharing over your local network.

Basically, install the printer on your host. Install samba and cups on your hosts. Setup the printer in cups. Setup samba to allow printer and/or file sharing.

I have a linux server hosting two printers, sharing 2tb of media via NFS, http, ftp, and samba, a torrent server, and a couple of more things.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by converted tux
        As for the wireless print server I have never dug into that concept or thought about at all. Is that software I put on this machine or a box from the local computer shop?

I use this wireless print server in an ad hoc connection. The reviews are 50-50, a love hate relation. I've never used it with multifunction printers, but it is supposed to work with them. You should keep it well above the surface it sits on because it gets hot. I first ran it setting on its feet and after awhile it began dropping pages and then not accepting print jobs. I then set it on 5 rubber erasers so set it higher. That helped bud didn't cure the heating problems. S0, I set it on top of a ceramic mug, and it has worked perfectly since then. Contrary to what half of the reviewers claim, despite their IT degrees, it is easy to set up. It has problems in Windows environments IF you change the name of your print server in Windows environments--- all windows connections immediately drop. But, In my Linux environment it works great. $35 isn't a bad price. I paid $75 for it 3 years ago.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I have the same printer server ($31 on ebay) and used this howto "Linksys WPS54G Wireless Print Server with HP LaserJet 1320 on Ubuntu" - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=516747
          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks for helping me out today guys, I feel I am getting somewhere! As for the printer I will start it tonight when I get this pc mounted to the wall and everything wired in place just pulled a samba from repository as well as some cups files so it will be a place to start.
            My family thinks I am crazy for turning half the house Kubuntu but I beleive it will be worth it.
            3 machines running Kubuntu9.10 still working on the dual boot and sharing a printer with win 7

Comment

Originally posted by converted tux
              My family thinks I am crazy for turning half the house Kubuntu but I believe it will be worth it.
              Maybe now, but in the future they'll realize you are not, and in more ways than your family can appreciate right now....

Saving a bucket load of money on proprietary OS and applications license fees and periodic AV subscription fees for "vaccines" which don't immunize your system against attacks ... They'll LOVE spending that money on THEIR wants...
              Getting virtually impenetrable security in browsing and emails, thus protecting your personal info and banking information from being hijacked by the bad guys, ... They'll LOVE knowing their secrets are kept secret ....
              Providing an extremely reliable computing environment with no DRM or other intrusions, ... They didn't want to give the world their demographic data without being paid for it ...
              and
              Supplying hours of educational and fun computing...

There's no other deal like it on the planet!

Check this out:
              http://dmartin.org/weblog/things-i-c...-do-on-windows

Comment

So I went and bought a print server tried it and it could not be seen by any pc I had be it kubuntu or win7, and the install disk was doing funny things on the win7 machines. so when I found notes in the manual from the previous owner...(wait wasn't this new?) I took it back to the store and got a US robotics version. This one loads the software fine on the win 7 machines ( still doesn't print) but cant be seen from the kubuntu PC's. So I hooked the printer up to a kubuntu machine and Eureka I can print directly! Ok Samba ... Cups.. yeah I can print from my other Kubuntu machine across the network. Now we are getting somewhere. Halt! Win7 sees the Kubuntu machines but not the printer. Does anyone care to jump into this morass with me?

Comment

You don't need an install CD when setting up a wireless print server. All you need is the address of the print server admin utility. On mine it is 192.168.1.15. When I put that IP into FoxPro's URL line I get the login page for the print server. I then change the print server's essid and admin name and password. Since it is not visible from the Internet (only the local 192.*.*.* subnet) I leave it open. You really don't even need an essid broadcast since you would be setting up a connection via a socket.

IF your US Robotics print server was a USR7500 you should have had no problem in setting it up using TCP/IP (socket in Linux) and a utility in Windows. A USB cable should connect from the printer to the USB port on the wireless print server. In addition, you should connect an eth cable from 1 of the (usually) 4 eth OUTPUT ports on the back of the computer to the eth input port on the wireless print server. Then browse to the IP address the documentation says to use to configure the wireless print sever. The docs should also tell you what the factor default login name is (usually "admin") and the password (also "admin" or sometimes blank, so be sure to set both to something different). After than set cups to communicate to the Hp deskjet F4180 using something similar to what I show in the graphic below:

Attached Files

Comment

Weeelllll I kinda already took that print server back as well since I was able to print from both kubuntu machines and thought ( If I am fighting to get the print server working then save the money and fight to get the pc's to talk to each other.)

Comment

It's not hard to get linux to act as the server. The only thing is is you want to print , that computer must be on. Get the printer working on the box you want it installed to. Then configure it in cups to share. Then get samba up and running.

Please Read Me

Comment

Just so I am clear on the use of cups and samba...\

1. a version of them should be on my machine from the original 9.10 install on Sunday. If so where would I look for cups? I found samba under
                        network.
                        2. they allow the printer sharing for both kubuntu and windows, or is it just to windows and as long as you have sharing set kubuntu will
                        see it?
                        3. if they aren't on my machine yet I can get them from the repository, if I can decide on which file to download.

I ask these things because I can currently print from both the kubuntu machine that has the printer connected via usb and the kubuntu laptop across the network wirelessly. I thought that if I could print wirelessly from the second kubuntu machine I should be able to from win7.

Comment

Ok I found a few minutes to look around after dealing with the wife and kids for various things. and found the FAQ's especially #8 so now I have some reading to do. Umm right off is there one for cups? Well I will read up then do a search for cups and get back to you guys later. Thanks for the help so far.

Comment

Cups is really easy.

server=computer that printer is attached to
                            client=computer you want to print from

SERVER:
                            Install printers and verify they work. I don't have your printer(s) so you're on your own for this one. I'm sure you've already done this anyway...

Install cups-common meta package and it will give you what you need for cups.

Open a browser and type "localhost:631" in the URL bar. This will open a cups management page. Click on "Administration", under "Server Settings", click on "Share Printers connected to this system". Then, under "Printers" - "Add Printer". All your installed printers should be there. When you name each printer, I suggest keeping it simple. Rather than a printer name like "Hewlett Packard Deskjet F4180" use "Deskjet."

Repeat this for each linux machine on your network. For windows - my wife's vista laptop and my daughters 7 laptop I did the usual networked printer setup but they cannot "find" the printer so I had to put in the IP address of my server. I think if you're using DHCP (automatic IP assignment rather than static IP) you can still do it if your hostname is configured properly.

My smb.conf has this in the printer sections:

[
                            Code:
                            printers]
                              comment = All Printers
                              path = /var/spool/samba
                              browseable = no
                              guest ok = yes
                              writable = no
                              printable = yes
                              create mode = 0700
                              use client driver = yes