This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] biting off more than I can chew -FDISK

I have used kubuntu for about 2 yrs on a laptop just for surfing the net and if Anything ever went wrong just slapped in the live cd and reloaded. This weekend I loaded Kubuntu onto 2 more computers with one being straight kubuntu with the network printer and the second is going to be a multiple boot with win 7 and kubuntu as well as 1 or 2 more linux distros to be decided later ( probably something for home media storage/viewing). The first comp has 2 hdd's the first being 1tb with kubuntu loaded and running fine, the second drive is formatted for windows but empty. The next comp I have a 4 hdd's and am still deciding where to put which os as I am currently safe deleting all of them. I also have 3 other pc with windows 7 for my wife and kids that all need access to the printer.
    Now the questions, and I have tried to research them but am still a little confused,
    1.Is fdisk a program used to format a drive or just partition it? or is there much of a difference? reason being the windows formatted drive on the first pc that I want to be able to use for kubuntu. When I select it I only get an option for adding an item or hiding the drive.
    2. How do I share the printer to the other pc's ? I see them through samba but when I select them it says that location doesn't exist, both for kubuntu pc's and win7 pc's. If there is a good tutorial on this please point me to it.
    3 machines running Kubuntu9.10 still working on the dual boot and sharing a printer with win 7

Re: biting off more than I can chew.

1.Is fdisk a program used to format a drive or just partition it? or is there much of a difference? reason being the windows formatted drive on the first pc that I want to be able to use for kubuntu. When I select it I only get an option for adding an item or hiding the drive.
    I am no expert on fsck but I would sugest usong gparted live CD for all partitionimg tasks:
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

2. How do I share the printer to the other pc's ? I see them through samba but when I select them it says that location doesn't exist, both for kubuntu pc's and win7 pc's. If there is a good tutorial on this please point me to it.
    again no expert but this might help you along:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3108129.0

I hope this helps and good luck
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

WRT dual-booting with Win 7, check this:

http://lifehacker.com/5403100/dual+b...erfect-harmony

Comment

Thanks for the resources I will check them out today. and let you guys know how they work out.
        One thing wasn't really looking for the partitioning but rather the formatting. Although the partitioning will come in very useful.

Update I got g-parted from the repository and it said it ran successfully. I can no longer see the second drive though. Will poke around some more for the commands to find it in a shell. As for the other info .....
        there is a lot to go through so, I will sit back with a few beers and read it over the next few days and try it out as I can. Dibl the site you gave me seems very well thought out and easy to understand, I thank you for that Fintan the thread for the printer sharing will indeed be very informative and I thank you as well. I will post again when I have more results.
        3 machines running Kubuntu9.10 still working on the dual boot and sharing a printer with win 7

Comment

Originally posted by converted tux
          Fdisk in linux is indeed only a partition editor. It can remove and create partitions and assign partition types (among other things) but filesystem creation (aka formatting) are done by other utilities. Tools like Gparted bring formatting tools and partitioning tools together in one easier-to-use GUI package (for most people ). As far as using a previously windows formatted partition to install kubuntu - generally, unless you want the partition a different size, you can allow the kubuntu installer to format the partition for you.

At this point I'd like to suggest you start a couple of new threads - one for each separate issue - and use an issue descriptive Subject line. You get more response and therefore have a better chance of getting your problems resolved. I see four or five different topics in this post.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks oshunluvr I think I will start a few threads, although I was trying not to start ones that pretty much already existed elsewhere, just wanted to be pointed to the better ones. :-X
            On another note after rebooting a few times the second hd came up and can now be seen in the left hand column of dolphin, though I apparently don't have the ability to write to it. it is now formatted as ext4? I did not want another version of linux on it, just extra space for kubuntu on the same machine.
            Please consider this thread as for the one mounting issue. All others will be handled in other threads.
            Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
              At this point I'd like to suggest you start a couple of new threads - one for each separate issue - and use an issue descriptive Subject line. You get more response and therefore have a better chance of getting your problems resolved. I see four or five different topics in this post.
              Good idea. I split the topic a minute ago. Those who added question #2 to their answers for #1 should edit that post on this thread and add their answer to the second thread.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, first we need to figure out by what you mean as not "seeing" the drive.

If you're booted into kubuntu, open a console and type "sudo fdisk -l" You should then get a list of all drive "devices" on your system. This may include any sd cards readers and other stuff. Your first hard drive should be listed as "/dev/sda", your second as "/dev/sdb" and so on. With each hard drive will be a partition list. One of mine looks like this:

Code:
                Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
                255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
                Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
                Disk identifier: 0x0005b9ee

Device Boot   Start     End   Blocks  Id System
                /dev/sda1        1     131   1052226  82 Linux swap / Solaris
                /dev/sda2  *     132     182   409657+ 83 Linux
                /dev/sda3       183    60801  486922117+  5 Extended
                /dev/sda5       183    2271  16779861  83 Linux
                /dev/sda6      2272    2793   4192933+ 83 Linux
                /dev/sda7      2794    3315   4192933+ 83 Linux
                /dev/sda8      3316    8537  41945683+ 83 Linux
                /dev/sda9      8538    9059   4192933+ 83 Linux
                /dev/sda10      9060    9581   4192933+ 83 Linux
                /dev/sda11      9582    60801  411424618+ 83 Linux
                Yours will undoubtedly have less entries than mine.

FYI - in case you don't know how linux works with drive partitions...

Windows uses drive letters and assigns them to partitions based on the order in which they're accessed by the OS (FYI: Windows can only access 1 PRIMARY partition at a time, linux does not have this limitation). Windows won't boot from a LOGICAL partition (This may be different with Windows 7).

Linux assigns letters to each physical device and device numbers to the partitions.

Three hard drives on a system would then be /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, and /dev/sdc.

Partition numbers 1 through 4 are used for PRIMARY partitions and you can only have four on a disk. In order to have more than 4 partitions, you must make one the the PRIMARY partitions an EXTENDED partition which then holds any number of LOGICAL partitions. Linux then numbers the LOGICAL partitions beginning at 5, reserving 1-4 for the primary partitions. Linux will boot from any partition, primary or logical.

So - your hard drive will likely look like:

/dev/sda1 ----> First Primary
                /dev/sda2 ----> Second Primary (Extended)
                /dev/sda5 ----> First Logical

This is a typical basic windows style partitioning scheme. For your use, you would format /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda5. Once you've partitioned and formatted your partitions, they must then be mounted to access them. Once mounted, that's when you can use the space to install or save file or whatever.

In review, the steps to access a hard drive:
                1. Partition
                2. Format
                3. Mount
                There are various tools and methods to do these three steps.

Not to make this more confusing for you, I recommend at least three partitions for a stable linux install and four is better.

I do my installs this way:
                Partition 1 : Swap - 1 to 4gb (matching RAM size of system)
                Partition 2 : Windows (if you're dual booting)
                Partition 3 : Extended
                Partition 5: "/" aka root (your linux OS)
                Partition 6: "/home"
                Partition 7: "/tmp" (optional)
                Note the partition numbers tell you if it's a PRIMARY or LOGICAL partition.

Why do it this way you ask?
                SWAP: Unless you have lots of RAM and do very little with your computer, you will likely use swap space sometime. Windows uses a swap file, linux defaults to use a swap partition (somewhat faster access). It is reported having swap as the first partition is slightly faster than anywhere else on the drive.

Windows: IF you're dual booting Windows will need a Primary partition near the front of the drive.

/ (aka root): The place to install linux

/home: A separate home partition will protect your personal settings and files from a re-install of your OS and is slightly easier to make a backup.

/tmp: If you fill up your root or home partitions you will find yourself unable to boot up or log into your system. Most often this is caused by large or many tmp files filling up all your space. This is a fairly common problem. You can somewhat avoid this by having a separate tmp partition.

NOTE: These partitions can be spread amongst as many drives as you wish. In fact, having /, /tmp and /home on different drives can be slightly quicker and swap space will benefit from being spread out across all your drives.

ALSO NOTE: Linux needs no where near the space windows does. You can install and run kubuntu and a healthy amount of programs in less than 8gb. If you have a separate /home and /tmp it could be smaller. I usually use 16gb for root, 32gb for /tmp, 2gb for swap, and the rest for /home.

Please Read Me

Comment

Re: biting off more than I can chew -FDISK

Wow thats a lot of good info. thanks oshunluvr.
                  this is what I have now after fidling with some things. And before seeing your latest post.

Code:
                  bryan@Photoframe:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
                  255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
                  Disk identifier: 0x21ccb32b

/dev/sda1  *      1   120121  964871901  83 Linux
                  /dev/sda2     120122   121601  11888100  5 Extended
                  /dev/sda5     120122   121601  11888068+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
                  255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
                  Disk identifier: 0x333c333b

/dev/sdb1        1    30401  244196001  83 Linux
                  bryan@Photoframe:~$

Also when I go into dolphin and select the new drive it from the places listing to the left it comes up as /root/media/more_pics
                  and the properties show it as belonging to root, so I cant write to it without being a superuser in this situation? I clearly need to correct this but how?

Comment

Show us your /etc/fsab file.

Internal HDs, if not identified in fstab, will be owned by root when accessed. If you wish to 'own' it, you need to identify it in your fstab file in the same way that your first HD is.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Slight typo there snowhog: the file is /etc/fstab

An fstab entry follows the format:

DEVICE MOUNTPOINT TYPE OPTIONS

and will look something like:

UUID=ebffb916-98b7-4f9c-85c5-4a91796710d1 /mnt/install0 ext4 errors=remount-ro,noauto,users 0 0

or

/dev/sdb1 /mnt/install0 ext4 errors=remount-ro,noauto,users 0 0

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                        Slight typo there snowhog: the file is /etc/fstab
                        :P Yup. Either I haven't had enough coffee yet, or I've had to much.

Comment

Ok so I repartitioned the drive and it now looks like this.

Code:
                          bryan@Photoframe:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 1000.2 GB, 1000204886016 bytes
                          255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 121601 cylinders
                          Disk identifier: 0x21ccb32b

/dev/sda1  *      1   120121  964871901  83 Linux
                          /dev/sda2     120122   121601  11888100  5 Extended
                          /dev/sda5     120122   121601  11888068+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
                          255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
                          Disk identifier: 0x333c333b

/dev/sdb1        1     503   4040316  82 Linux swap / Solaris
                          /dev/sdb2       504    30401  240155685  5 Extended
                          /dev/sdb5       504    4905  35359033+ 83 Linux
                          /dev/sdb6      4906    10004  40957686  83 Linux
                          /dev/sdb7      10005    30401  163838871  83 Linux

and the item you guys wanted to see looks like this

Code:
                          # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
                          #
                          # Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
                          # for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
                          # devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
                          #
                          # <file system> <mount point>  <type> <options>    <dump> <pass>
                          proc      /proc      proc  defaults    0    0
                          # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation
                          UUID=6638e0e3-c43e-4c92-8554-28c6a208730e /        ext4  errors=remount-ro 0    1
                          # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
                          UUID=391b5b1b-6ebd-41ff-850d-b99ac7c97dc7 none      swap  sw       0    0
                          /dev/scd0    /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0    0

Comment

Okay. In order to provide you with the info needed to write the extra fstab entry, please post the results of:
                            Code:
                            sudo blkid | grep sdb

Comment

And here is the result

Code:
                              bryan@Photoframe:~$ sudo blkid | grep sdb
                              [sudo] password for bryan:
                              /dev/sdb1: UUID="b3d3c571-147c-42ee-9492-65f81f59d57a" TYPE="swap"
                              /dev/sdb5: LABEL="/" UUID="6a14a8af-81d5-4c4f-bff4-4f9f104e0059" TYPE="ext2"
                              /dev/sdb6: LABEL="/home" UUID="d48c8599-af06-452d-a409-341de52e96d7" TYPE="ext2"
                              /dev/sdb7: LABEL="/tmp" UUID="3492ac21-4237-474e-ba0f-bdf27c169b08" TYPE="ext2"

Comment

Working...
                              X