This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop-Switcher Is A Pain

I have just installed UNR on my netbook and I want the old fashioned open desktop but I researched how to switch UNR to look like the desktop version. All I hear is command line after command line which doesn't work. (Picture bellow).

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k2...1/Yousee-1.png

The only problem is I have downloaded Desktop-Switcher but can't install it. A pain in the rear. Someone help please.

Re: Desktop-Switcher Is A Pain

You shouldn't be installing alien files, especially tar files, on your system. There already is a "desktop switcher" on Kubuntu. It is in the widgets. Right mouse on the panel and select "Add widgets". Navigate to the "Virtual Desktop" widget and double click on it. It will appear on your panel. Close the widget installation panel. Right mouse on the virtual desktop icon and set it up for the number of desktops you want, etc...
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Just a thought...

The OP is talking about UNR so I'm wondering whether he is talking gnome here?

If so, IIRC there should be a desktop switcher within the system section.

Comment

UNR...Ubuntu Netbook Remix...usually Gnome. No there isn't a desktop switcher with karmic koala version. I've had a good look but all I see is no possibility for it. I wonder if I should just install the desktop version. Would make it easier but with limited resources it would screw up like the last time.

This is a pain.

Comment

I think you are probably right - it was certainly there in 9.04 but the missus hasn't asked me to disable on her netbook in 9.10

Okay absolutely no warranty here and no acceptance of liability but the netbook interface is simply an installable package. If you open synaptic and type netbook you ought to see it installed. You ought to be able to uninstall it (it will probably uninstall maximus) but should leave you with plain gnome.

However, make a very careful note of the correct name of the package in case you have to reinstall it from the command line

Comment

Isn't this what you are after?
            Attached Files
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I don't think it is GG, I think what he is after is that he has got UNR which modifies the gnome desktop and he's trying to get rid of the netbook framework and convert to vanilla gnome, without having to do a reinstall. That was easy to achieve in 9.04 as it was an option within the system menu, you just clicked an icon to change it, but it's gone in 9.10. I suspect you have to have one or the other now

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek

Isn't this what you are after?
                I think so but I think I might just try the different ways of getting rid of the netbook interface and then try work out how to get the right click thing working. I hear you can do it. I might install Linux Mint just to see what difference in performance I'd get to Ubuntu desktop.

Thanks for the help

Comment

Just to avoid any confusion, am I right in my assumption that what you are seeking to achieve is a plain ubuntu with a gnome desktop or are you wanting kubuntu with a kde desktop?

Comment

Originally posted by marshcaptain
                    I might install Linux Mint just to see what difference in performance I'd get to Ubuntu desktop.
                    IMO, Linux Mint is a better Ubuntu than Ubuntu. The only problem is that it is a fork of Ubuntu and as such will always be behind Ubuntu by a few weeks or months. But, if you are not after bleeding edge and you find you prefer GNOME over KDE4 then Linux Mint is the distro to use.

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                      Just to avoid any confusion, am I right in my assumption that what you are seeking to achieve is a plain ubuntu with a gnome desktop or are you wanting kubuntu with a kde desktop?

Desktop-Switcher is a program used to switch Ubuntu Netbook Remix interface into a bog standard desktop interface. That's what I wanted and also wanted to install since Karmic Koala doesn't have it.

As for Mint all I have to do is work out how to mount my USB so I can use Wine to run UNetbootin and make a live CD from my USB. I say again:

Thanks.

Comment

That's what I thought you meant.

Take a look here

http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=1427

According to the post by Andy Bleaden (who also posts on this forum) if you log out you can log in as normal ubuntu. I haven't tried it but can only suggest you give it a whirl.

If it works it seems a pretty easy solution.

HTH

ian

Comment

if I remember right .........all you half to do is open the prosess moniter or top or ps and find a prosess cald netbook-launcher or simaler (cant remember exactley)and kill it ......and you fall back to a Gnome desktop.

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
                            That's what I thought you meant.

Take a look here

http://www.itnewstoday.com/?p=1427

According to the post by Andy Bleaden (who also posts on this forum) if you log out you can log in as normal ubuntu. I haven't tried it but can only suggest you give it a whirl.

If it works it seems a pretty easy solution.

HTH

ian
                            Just tried it myself and it doesn't work so it looks as if the Netbook interface isn't optional any more

Comment

Working...
                            X