X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm a bit lost

Originally posted by Costascy82
    Well i put a ubuntu live cd in and it works fine. only kubuntu does these problems. I added a repository and updated to kd4.4.1. The problem still occurs. when i put aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav in the kubuntu konsole I get a repeating "Frfrfrfrfrfrfrfrfr" that never ends. I don't think reinstalling will help since the problems occur on the live cd...
    I have a relative who owns an HP DV7, although I can't remember which model number, and his HP runs Kubuntu Lucid Beta just fine. But, I have an old gateway m675prr laptop which ran Karmic beautifully but when I installed Lucid Lynx on it I found that the sound does not work at all, even though the chip is recognized correctly and kmixer populates with the controls. Haven't solved that one yet, so I am waiting for an upgrade to fix it.

EDIT: This morning I examined the alsamixer settings and gained access to controls which Kmix didn't reveal. Once I changed "Center/LE" to "Mixer OUT", I got glorious sound. (which is the same setting change I had to make with the Jaunty KMixer, which the Lucid KMixer does not show.). Jaunty, Mandriva and PCLinuxOS had those settings under dropdown control boxes. Juanty and Karmic had the settings but they were checkboxes. Lucid doesn't have them.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Assuming you want to stick with the wubi installation, you could install the ubuntu one, that you know works, and once you are happy that it works when installed, you install kde by installing kubuntu-desktop and you might have more joy.

It may be that your machine (especially the sound) only works properly with a library installed that is a default in gnome but not in KDE. It might simply be down to that. I don't want to be the lone voice here but, as I imagine you can simply uninstall a wubi installation and do a new one, I think you are probably right to make sure it works properly before committing to a dual boot.

Ian

Comment

Well it seems the problem with the shutdown was due to the sound problem. I was trying to fix the sound and I must have donew something wrong and removed the sound devices. Now the shutdown works. All that's left is to fix the sound. If I don't manage I'll just install Ubuntu, but I really liked the KDE so far...

Comment

Working...
        X