X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Database Creation in Kubuntu

Hi,

I'm a new highschool teacher, and I have a great idea for a database to use to store student scores, feedback, links to assignments, etc. I'm also new to Linux as well, so I need some help finding what software I should use.

Any database dabblers who could give me a hand? I understand the fundamentals of databases, and have made a few Simple ones in the past, but all in Access.

Thanks!

Cor

Re: Database Creation in Kubuntu

That you ask the question leads me to believe that your skills in db admin & programming are marginal.

So, my recommendation is to use OpenOffice. It contains a database manager, access-like query developers, integration of forms with database tables, etc., all in OpenOffice alone. I've attached some jpegs showing the various db capabilities, which include reports, forms, designers, queries, etc... When you install OOo be sure to include the help documentation for your langauge, and the openoffice-report-builder from Sun, all of which are in the repository for Lucid Lynx (which is what I am running ... probably in the repository for Karmic and Jaunty as well). I've included a jpg of the database tool for creating forms, reports, tables, etc. The queries are created pretty much the same way they are in Access.

You can create forms which interact with a database to add, change or remove rows or can be read only, depending on the rights of the user. There is LOTS of power in OpenOffice and the help documenation is excellent. While a write document is open in OOo you can hit the F4 button to bring up an interface to the databases registered with OOo. It comes with two demos: biblio and evolution.
    Attached Files
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: Database Creation in Kubuntu

Open Office Base is the relational database (which the previous commenter was describing and which is a nice tool). It is not installed by default when the other Open Office components are installed. Install it from a package manager (such a KPackageKit) or from the command line:

sudo apt-get install openoffice.org-base

Of course, you may be merely looking for a spreadsheet (like MS Excel), which is OpenOffice Spreadsheet. This is installed by default with OpenOffice.

I personally like OpenOffice Base (which is similar to MS Access), especially recent versions. But one has to be dedicated to learning about databases (not a bad thing, in the long run).

Eventually, a database engineer can use real databases such as MySQL, postgreSQL, and oracle databases, or even some really fast databases (used in banking and health care) such as MUMPS.

But definitely start small -- with OpenOffice Base.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
      and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
      X