Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installed Kubuntu-Desktop over Ubuntu - Username password Not Working!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed Kubuntu-Desktop over Ubuntu - Username password Not Working!

When I start to box I get the Kubuntu login screen, but entering my username & password from Ubuntu just turns the boxes white for a second, then the password disappears. I also can't login to Ubuntu, or Console.

Please help! I have work to do & I'm totally locked out!

Re: Installed Kubuntu-Desktop over Ubuntu - Username password Not Working!

Possibly it is the #10 problem on the FAQs in my signature. There are links there to point you toward solution. If your filesystem is too full, look at #16.

Comment

Thanks, I've done the root owns everything mistake before, I don't think it's that. I don't get a black screen. It seems that my password has been changed. Bob shows as a user (correct), but the password from Ubuntu (also Bob) does not work.

Going to the recovery console results in text over the console menu about not being able to connect to shares, etc. If I can fight my way out of that I can get to the command line & Bob is there (root@Bob:~#) Then I have problems with the keyboard only delivering some key strokes. It's like something is interrupting it.

Anyway, I am now at the command line & the key strokes seem to be working. I guess it's possible that my partition filled up when I loaded Kubuntu but that seems extremely unlikely. I think I have a 40 GB partition for Ubuntu with 10GB for VB.

Now that I have a command line I want to do what I can from there. Can I just reset the password for Bob? I'm pretty much a noob so I would appreciate any help. This is a nightmare. I would be happy just to have access to Ubuntu again at this point. Got work to do...

Actually, it's still doing the keystroke problem thing.

Comment

While you can, type:
        Code:
        df -h
        If Use% Mounted on for / is 100% then you do have a space problem. What does it show?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have a live cd in & it shows 32 gb free. I really think that my password was changed somehow. I'm going to try & reset it from the live cd.

Comment

I'm starting a new topic. I think I have bigger problems.

Comment

Working...
            X