X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new user (root user, media player)

Hi,

so I'm 'new' to Kubuntu, I've had it for quite some time but with up and downs so.. I had a couple of probs and questions.

First of all, it sometimes happen I just can't type anymore in Konversation and kopete.. Just facebook chat works, so I have to reboot. How can I fix this?
    I'm also looking for my root passw, I do have my sudo passw but they are not the same so..
    And I'm also looking for a good player to read videos( series etc I have downloaded, or movies.)

Thanks!

Re: new user (root user, media player)

Originally posted by boesmans
    I'm also looking for my root passw, I do have my sudo passw but they are not the same so..
    By default the root account is locked in (k)ubuntu installations. See this
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Comment

Ok thanks

I'm also looking for a way to:
      1) NOT save my logs of Kopete, but save my logs from Konversation (and know WHERE logs are stored )
      2) Kopete needs to stop pupping up everytime someone set his status to away, or busy, or comes online or whatever..

Comment

Check Settings > Configure in Kopete. You should find everything you need there.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I checked there already, no idea where i should look at :s

Comment

Kopete > Settings > Configure > Plugins > History (uncheck this to stop logging)
            Kopete > Settings > Configure Notificiations... > Show a message in a popup (uncheck this to disable popup notifications)

The log files are likely found at ~/.kde/share/apps/kopete/

Comment

you don't have one after install.

do

sudo passwd root

to create one

Please Read Me

Comment

Root as a 'user' is not enabled in *buntu by design. The user who installs *buntu is granted the ability to use roots privileges, when required, by using kdesudo (for GUI appls) and sudo (from the CLI for single commands - DO NOT USE TO LAUNCH GUI APPS!).

While you can enable the root account, it is not recommended unless/until you fully understand the power you will have running as root, and the dangers to your system when doing so.

Comment

Ok thanks a lot all

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                    While you can enable the root account, it is not recommended unless/until you fully understand the power you will have running as root, and the dangers to your system when doing so.
                    I only set up root password in case I need to drop to console mode to fix something as I am configuring or setting up. It's always a bad idea to in as root to use a gui based tool.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                      I only set up root password in case I need to drop to console mode to fix something as I am configuring or setting up. It's always a bad idea to in as root to use a gui based tool.
                      That isn't necessary. If you boot into recovery (single user) mode, you will be 'root.' If you need to run as 'root' after you are logged in and on your desktop, you can, in a console, just type:
                      Code:
                      sudo su -
                      provide your password, and you are now running as 'root' with root's environment (thus, protecting your users environment from damage). These are the preferred ways of exercising root's power in *buntu. There is no need to activate the root account.

All that said however, this is Linux, and you are free to do as you wish. But as has been stated more than once, if you run as root when you have been advised not to do so, and you screw up your system, don't expect a lot of sympathy or help in getting you out of the situation.

Comment

I agree with everything you've said snowhog - for me, as an old cli user - I ten to jump to the cli instead of looking for the correct gui tool. So when I open a console or jump to console mode, I've already planned 20 or so entires so I'd rather su than sudo x 20! 8)

Please Read Me

Comment

I want to learn how to write little scripts, how should I best start at it? I think there must be like an online cursus where you start with easy things and going further and further etc ?

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
                            I agree with everything you've said snowhog - for me, as an old cli user - I ten to jump to the cli instead of looking for the correct gui tool. So when I open a console or jump to console mode, I've already planned 20 or so entires so I'd rather su than sudo x 20! 8)
                            You can also use 'sudo -i' command to get a root shell without the need to enable root account (somewhat shorter to type than 'sudo su -'...of course you can also alias either command to something as short as 'su', like 'rs' (as in "root shell"))

I want to learn how to write little scripts, how should I best start at it? I think there must be like an online cursus where you start with easy things and going further and further etc ?
                            There are a lot of howtos/tutorials/guides available from the net, search for example "bash scripting guide" in your preferred search engine.

One of the better "manuals" is the "Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide" (at 800+ pages it should keep you busy for a while :P):
                            html: http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/
                            pdf: http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/abs-guide.pdf

Comment

thx a lot
                              So i can start without knowing anything with that guide ?
                              I'm also looking for a way to, when i amsg in Konversation, the amsg stays in the server i type it into.. cause when connected to 4servers, i don't want amsg to be on 4 but only in the one i give it in.. I asked around, ppl saying it's not possible so i was wondering if there was another command to do this

Comment

Working...
                              X