Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct Password..but still cannot access GUI..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct Password..but still cannot access GUI..

hey guys,

First.. an apology in case this has been asked before...i did a search but couldnt find a similar topic.

I was installing (mplayer) on kubuntu and then had an abnormal crash after the installation....and since then I am not able to access my kubuntu.Console login works fine...it accepts my U/P and everything is ok there...BUT somehow i cannot access the GUI.I get a prompt to enter my username and password but it does NOT accept my password....and I am 110% sure my password is correct....so have no clue wats wrong.

Please HELP! i dont wanna give up on kubuntu! im starting to like it!

Thankss.

Sam

Re: Correct Password..but still cannot access GUI..

9.10 assumed

When you say you get console login do you get the KDE login screen or is it black screen all the way?

Comment

This sounds like the infamous "login loop" -- #10 in the FAQs in my signature.

Either your filesystem is full, or you have used "sudo kde_app_here" and run the X server in root mode, changing the permissions on configuration files in your user's home folder. Follow the links for corrective actions, depending on which problem you have.

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
        9.10 assumed

When you say you get console login do you get the KDE login screen or is it black screen all the way?
        thanks for ur prompt response....

I get the KDE login screen...and thats it...it doesnt accept my password for some reason.Everytime I enter my password ....I can see the cursor rotating as if its trying to load the KDE but then it fails and gives me that KDE login screen again.No error message is being displayed.

I know I am entering the right password cuz when i select the Console Login option ..it accepts my U/P fine and I am able to execute commands.

I have tried restarting the X-server several times...no go.(quite frankly I dont even know if that has anything to do with it but still.. )

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
          This sounds like the infamous "login loop" -- #10 in the FAQs in my signature.

Either your filesystem is full, or you have used "sudo kde_app_here" and run the X server in root mode, changing the permissions on configuration files in your user's home folder. Follow the links for corrective actions, depending on which problem you have.

i kept getting msgs saying my home directory was full.only 1% free..but i didn't know what was taking up the space since I haven't downloaded anything besides installing some updates.

I am going to follow the link you have posted and see if thats going to resolve my issue.Will let you know.

fingers crossed..

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by shasa089

i kept getting msgs saying my home directory was full.only 1% free..but i didn't know what was taking up the space since I haven't downloaded anything besides installing some updates.
            OK, then look at #16 also.

Your Kubuntu partition needs to be at least 6GB to avoid this problem on a routine basis. If you don't have another partition to use for your data or your /home directory, then you might want to use an even larger Kubuntu partition, so you can download the occasional ISO image file without getting into trouble.

Comment

OK, then look at #16 also.

Your Kubuntu partition needs to be at least 6GB to avoid this problem on a routine basis. If you don't have another partition to use for your data or your /home directory, then you might want to use an even larger Kubuntu partition, so you can download the occasional ISO image file without getting into trouble.
              Hey Buddy,

So this is what i have done so far after doing some research....but unfortunately no go...i might have screwed it up more cuz I dont even get the KDE login screen anymore.

1) mv .kde .kde_bak,restarted the X-server , dint work, login loop was still there

2)Removed kdm (sudo aptitude remove kdm) and tried to reinstall (sudo aptitude install kdm && sudo aptitude update) . Here,I was able to remove the kdm successfully ,however, I am not able to reinstall it using the above mentioned cmd.

So right now I am getting the black screen asking for my login(konsole session) and KDE login screen is obviously not coming up anymore.

So i guess first i need to get my KDE or KDM back and then worry about the login problem.

I am sure my home directory space issue had something to do with it.

Any help is appreciated at this point...thanks.

Comment

1) mv .kde .kde_bak,restarted the X-server , dint work, login loop was still there
                Yep -- nothing is going to work until you free up some space in your filesystem. Look at the #16 FAQ, run the du commands to determine what is hogging the space, and (carefully) delete enough that your filesystem does not report "too full".

Then we can fiddle with getting KDE to run, if needed.

Comment

Yep -- nothing is going to work until you free up some space in your filesystem. Look at the #16 FAQ, run the du commands to determine what is hogging the space, and (carefully) delete enough that your filesystem does not report "too full".

Then we can fiddle with getting KDE to run, if needed.

hello again ,

I did run those du and df commands to see whats taking the space and here is the output:

df -h

FileSystem Size Used Avail Use Mounted On
                  /dev/Loop 2.7G 2.4G 171M 94% /
                  udev 497M 252K 497M 0% /dev
                  none 497M 0 497M 0% /dev/shrd
                  none 497M 68K 497M 0% /var/run
                  none 497M 0 497M 0% /var/lock
                  none 497M 0 497M 0% /lib/init/rw
                  /dev/sda3 10G 3.7G 6.44G 37% /host

du -h --max-depth | sort -n
                  1.2 M ./.downloads
                  4.0K ./.gconf
                  4.0K /.music
                  24K ./.xine
                  208K ./.thumbnails
                  208K ./.macromedia
                  140M ./local
                  161M .
                  12M ./kde_bak

Frm the above output im not sure whats taking up the space in my home dir.

any other useful commands that might help figuring out whats taking up the space under home dir?

Also,how about i just copy kde_bak to my home dir since I still dont have Kubuntu desktop .

I know I am dealing with 2 issues in this post...sorry for that.

please let me know.

thanks.

Comment

Working...
                  X