Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOLVED! Just added CUPS PDF Printer but don't know where PDFs are!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED! Just added CUPS PDF Printer but don't know where PDFs are!!

Hi there
    Just installed the CUPS-PDF printer and it appears to be working in that when I click on print, it is listed as a printer and when I select it, there's a little scroll bar that looks like it's creating the PDF
    So, which folder should I search for to locate the PDF...
    Any ideas?
    Cheers
    Raaj
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Viva Kubuntu!!
    Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
    2Gb RAM
    Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
    KDE 4.7.1

Re: Just added CUPS PDF Printer but don't know where PDFs are!!

Think it would tend to default to /home/documents

Comment

Thanks
      I had deleted the Documents folder but created a new one to test your idea but it is still empty after I run new prints!
      Cheers
      Raaj
      Viva Kubuntu!!
      Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
      2Gb RAM
      Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
      KDE 4.7.1

Comment

Hi

The only alternative I can suggest is it has gone straight into the /home directory.

Assuming KDE 4 when you have the print dialog screen open and have selected print to file and then pdf, you can then select a dialog that will enable you to navigate the filesystem to save the pdf in the location of your choice.

Comment

I believe the default location is /var/spool/cups-pdf/${USER}

Comment

Thanks guys

However, in reply to your last posts, I don't get an option to navigate...what happens is this:

1) Click on print
            2) Dialogue appears showing 3 installed printers plus a print to file option
            3) I select PDF Printer and then click on print
            4) A message box indicating the page is being printed appears with a horizontal scroll bar
            5) This disappears after a few seconds and I am none the wiser as to where the document is

I have checked the /var/spool/cups-pdf folder and the only file within is labelled "Anonymous" i.e there is not a user file for me!

Very strange indeed!!

I think I will do a system wide search for pdf files and see what I come back with!

Cheers

R
            Viva Kubuntu!!
            Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
            2Gb RAM
            Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
            KDE 4.7.1

Comment

Anonymous is a directory, not a file

The ANONYMOUS subdirectory is used whenever cups is unable to determine the actual user that printed the file.

You can change the output location by editing cups-pdf.conf and restarting cups

Comment

Okay will try that
                Where is that config file located?
                Thanks
                Raaj
                Viva Kubuntu!!
                Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
                2Gb RAM
                Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
                KDE 4.7.1

Comment

Originally posted by webheadjunky
                  Where is that config file located?
                  Did you try
                  Code:
                  locate cups-pdf.conf

Comment

Originally posted by webheadjunky
                    Thanks guys

2) Dialogue appears showing 3 installed printers plus a print to file option
                    3) I select PDF Printer and then click on print
                    At that point you have not given the file a name. I suspect that as a result nothing actually gets printed. It's a bit cumbersome but type something in before the .pdf in the dialog box towards the left hand side of the pane. My suspicion is that the pdf will then end up in either your /home or /home documents folder. I'm forced to use XP at work so I haven't got the print dialog in front of me but IIRC there's an arrow/drop down box or something similar to tell the system where to save it. It's near the dialog box I've just referred to. When you click it tghe whole file system opens up and you can choose where to save it. Sorry I can't be more precise because I do it as second nature.

Ian

Sorry messed up with the quote function!

Comment

Thanks again guys
                      You're probably right Ian as if there is no PDF created, that explains why ican't find it (did a system wide pdf search and couldn't find them
                      But I still see no space for me to specify a path. have checked all the tabs in the print dialogue as well

in the meantime, here's the output from the conf-pdf file...what bit do I chnage? Thanks again Raaj

################################################## #########################
                      # #
                      # User Settings #
                      # #
                      ################################################## #########################

### Key: AnonUser
                      ## uid for anonymous PDF creation (this might be a security issue)
                      ## this setting has no influence on AnonDirName (see there)
                      ## set this to an empty value to disable anonymous
                      ### Default: nobody

#AnonUser nobody

### Key: LowerCase
                      ## This options allows to check user names given to CUPS-PDF additionally
                      ## against their lower case variants. This is necessary since in some
                      ## Windows environments only upper case user names are passed. Usually UNIX
                      ## user names are all lower case and it is save to use this option
                      ## but be aware that it can lead to mis-identifications in case
                      ## you have user names that differ only in upper/lower case.
                      ## check only against user name as passed to CUPS : 0
                      ## check additionally against lower case user name : 1
                      ### Default: 1

#LowerCase 1

### Key: UserPrefix
                      ## some installations require a domain prefix added to the user name
                      ## leave empty for no prefix
                      ### Default: <empty>

#UserPrefix

### Key: DirPrefix
                      ## if a prefix was defined above this switch toggels whether to include
                      ## the prefix in the output directory's name (if not $HOME) or not
                      ## 0: do not include, 1: include
                      ### Default: 0

#DirPrefix 0

### Key: RemovePrefix
                      ## some installation pass usernames with a prefix (usually a domain name)
                      ## if you do not want this prefix to be used by the ${USER} variable for
                      ## output directories put the part which is to be cut here
                      ### Default: <empty>

#RemovePrefix
                      Viva Kubuntu!!
                      Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
                      2Gb RAM
                      Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
                      KDE 4.7.1

Comment

Please can you post a screenshot with the print dialog set to print to file?

Comment

Re: SOLVED! Just added CUPS PDF Printer but don't know where PDFs are!!

Right I understand you now. I can see the options if I select the print to file option and specify PDF

Quick question though ...is this something I would have been able to do before I installed the CUPS-PDF printer?

I have attached screenshots as to what happens if I select the CUPS -PDF printer

Thanks again for the quick responses guys

Cheers

Raaj
                          Attached Files
                          Viva Kubuntu!!
                          Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
                          2Gb RAM
                          Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
                          KDE 4.7.1

Comment

Do you have a folder called PDF in your home directory? If not then try creating it
                            Code:
                            mkdir ~/PDF

Comment

HI there! Created the folder and printed but no documents posted I'm afarid.
                              Viva Kubuntu!!
                              Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
                              2Gb RAM
                              Oneiric Ocelot 11.10
                              KDE 4.7.1

Comment

Working...
                              X