This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some questions about netbook remix and desktop version

I have 15.4" Notebook with AMD Athlon x2 64 bit CPU 4 gb ram and ATI HD 3200
    My question is which version is better for my machine ?
    And could you tell me what is the differences between Desktop version and Netbook remix..
    What ADDons are included in Netbook remix ;]
    Sorry for my bad english , thanks.

Re: Some questions about netbook remix and desktop version

It's obvious what the difference, is, Netbook Remix is aimed at netbook users, smaller screens and thus, you get every window maximised (which is so annoying) basically, you get a nice little launcher thing like a quick access bar, although the Kubuntu one is crappy and unresponsive becuase its unfinished. I'm currently dual-booting Ubuntu Netbook Remix and I highly recommend it, its loads more stable than the KDE version

Comment

The netbook remix is for netbooks
      Ubuntu Netbook Edition (UNE) is a version of the Ubuntu Linux distribution that has been optimized to enable it to work better on netbooks and other devices with small screens or with the Intel Atom computer processor.
      You don't have a netbook, you have a notebook, you don't have such a small screen or an Intel Atom processor.

What is the difference? Look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Netbook_Remix and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_...ting_system%29

There are two install disks called the Desktop, which is a LiveCD that has an installer, and the Alternate, which is only an install disk.

Why not try both? You will probably be better with the full version.
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by Frontline
        I have 15.4" Notebook with AMD Athlon x2 64 bit CPU 4 gb ram and ATI HD 3200
        My question is which version is better for my machine ?
        And could you tell me what is the differences between Desktop version and Netbook remix..
        What ADDons are included in Netbook remix ;]
        Sorry for my bad english , thanks.
        Hi,

Since you have a decent notebook, you don't have to choose between desktop and netbook versions of Kubuntu. You can get both interfaces (Plasma Desktop UI and Plasma Nebook UI) at once! Because, the netbook interface (which is called "Search And Locate" containment) is an official part of KDE (since version 4.4).

1 . Just Install the standard Kubuntu Desktop version.
        2. If you install stable version of Kubuntu, namely "karmic koala"), then upgrade KDE SC to 4.4.
        4. If you want to try out the netbook interface, just go into Konsole and there, write:

Code:
        sudo apt-get install plasma-netbook
        5. Now you can go into System Settings/Desktop/Workspace and switch the "form factor" to your taste (desktop or netbook) and enjoy the ride.

Originally posted by Jay794
        It's obvious what the difference, is, Netbook Remix is aimed at netbook users, smaller screens and thus, you get every window maximised (which is so annoying) basically, you get a nice little launcher thing like a quick access bar, although the Kubuntu one is crappy and unresponsive because its unfinished. I'm currently dual-booting Ubuntu Netbook Remix and I highly recommend it, its loads more stable than the KDE version
        I assume that you are talking about Kubuntu Netbook remix with KDE 4.3.2. Yes, it's prehistorical/preview version of netbook interface (which was a disaster I don't want to remember anymore ) WAS unresponsive and annoying, but the NEW netbook interface is very fast, responsive and mostly mature now (on KDE 4.4). It didn't even crash once since I upgraded to KDE 4.4.0. So I believe it is usable. As to the annoying maiximized windows, it is just the default behaviour. Window handling is also perfected now. You can change it from System Settings/Window settings (I prefer smart window placement - which remembers the users decision and previous state).

Regards

Comment

Thanks
          I run Kubuntu 10.04 daily version of 64 bit with kde 4.4 .It's fantastic.
          I just wanted to know the differences in software point.

Comment

I just wanted to know the differences in software point.
            I am running karmic desktop kde4.4 and lucid netbook on my my punny (old) notebook and both run nicely. I prefer the desktop version.

As for software, there is no difference as you can install any and the same software on both.

So yes, as suggested, get the desktop and install netbook and play
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Jay794
              It's obvious what the difference, is, Netbook Remix is aimed at netbook users, smaller screens and thus, you get every window maximised (which is so annoying) basically, you get a nice little launcher thing like a quick access bar, although the Kubuntu one is crappy and unresponsive because its unfinished. I'm currently dual-booting Ubuntu Netbook Remix and I highly recommend it, its loads more stable than the KDE version
              I assume that you are talking about Kubuntu Netbook remix with KDE 4.3.2. Yes, it's prehistorical/preview version of netbook interface (which was a disaster I don't want to remember anymore ) WAS unresponsive and annoying, but the NEW netbook interface is very fast, responsive and mostly mature now (on KDE 4.4). It didn't even crash once since I upgraded to KDE 4.4.0. So I believe it is usable. As to the annoying maiximized windows, it is just the default behaviour. Window handling is also perfected now. You can change it from System Settings/Window settings (I prefer smart window placement - which remembers the users decision and previous state).

Regards
              [/quote]

Well actually no, I am talking about KDE 4.4, I was running KNR on my Advent 4213 1GB RAM 160GB HD, Dual booting with Windows 7 and the OS was terrible, I'd click on a program, the little icon would start to bounce, then disappear and not open. So I opted for UNR, being the original, I'd say it's definitely best, although I'd be willing to try KNR if it worked properly

Comment

Working...
              X