Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to make the mute button work while using headphones?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make the mute button work while using headphones?

Hello everyone, I've googled this issue but I couldn't find something useful.
    I have an hp 6735b laptop, and whenever I use headphones, the mute button doesn't works.
    It works fine without headphones. It isn't a big deal and I can live with it but if it can be fixed I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance.

/*Corrected my laptop model*/

Re: How to make the mute button work while using headphones?

I have an Acer laptop, and what happened to me was almost the opposite - I plugged in headphones and nothing came out.

So, I clicked on the volume, and it was fine, so I checked the mixer, and the headphones were muted. Unchecking that turned my headphones on.

Maybe muting the headphones in the mixer would be an answer.

Are you using the mute button on the application or the volume control? I would be very surprised if the application mute wouldn't work, because that should interrupt the signal before it goes anywhere near the sound hardware.

Comment

If I mute it with the mixer works fine.
      My laptop has touch sensitive buttons for volume and mute, and also for enabling bluetooth/wifi, and the mute button, mutes when I touch it and while not using headphones.
      Maybe when I plug the headphones, it is not recognized as such, and the sound is simply diverted from the speakers to the headphone jack. Well that's my theory I don't what else could it be.

Comment

The button makes me think it is more of a hardware design.

My guess would be that the mute button is probably set up to work with the speakers only. I could see that as a useful feature, while muting headphones not necessarily as useful.

How does/did the mute button work with windows?

Comment

The button works fine in Windows, it mutes the sound in general whereas I'm using speakers or headphones. Could it be that in Kubuntu it just silences speakers and not the sound/mixer in general?

Comment

If windows mutes both, then I would have to change that to be a software control button.

So then the windows driver must have different functionality than kubuntu somehow. It could be a custom setup for that laptop.

The fact that the button mutes the speakers in kubuntu means to me that the driver recognizes the button, but just doesn't have the mute of the headphones added as well. I have no idea how to begin to change that.

sorry.

Comment

Try having a look in kmix. The sound buttons on your keyboard control whatever is set to be the master channel. It's possible that your master channel is something other than the actual master channel for your soundcard (ie. something that affects the speaker channel volume but not the headphone channel volume).

Comment

Working...
              X