Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I upgrade from Kubuntu 3.5.2 to the latest version?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do I upgrade from Kubuntu 3.5.2 to the latest version?

The alternate .iso isn't a LiveCD. You may need to use it if the LiveCD won't boot or fully load based on (possible) hardware incompatibility. In order to get the LiveCD, don't check the box that says: "Check here if you need the alternate desktop CD."
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Many thanks for clarrifying that. I have downloaded the right one now but when I try to boot form it I discover that my PC boots from the harddrive first not the CD drive.

Is there a way to change this or work around it?

Comment

You have to enter the BIOS (when initially booting, you should see a message at the bottom of the screen telling you which key(s) to press to enter the BIOS (or Setup). In there you want to change the order of devices checked for booting from, placing the CD drive as the top item, with the HD next.

Comment

Thanks I have done this and when I restart the PC it would seem as if it is trying to boot from the cd driv.

However I get a message to the effect of "place boot media in the correct boot drive and restart the machine".

The CD has just a single file on it that I downloaded titled "Jubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso'

When I reboot it just stops on the sam message each time.

Comment

Originally posted by Liam
            The CD has just a single file on it that I downloaded titled "Jubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso'
            You can't just copy the downloaded .iso file to the CD - you have to use a CD burner application to 'burn' the .iso download to the CD. Your current version of Kubuntu - Dapper - should have the application k3b or some other application that can burn a CD. That's what you need to do.

If K3b isn't installed, see How to install CD/DVD Burning Application (K3b)

Comment

if using K3b you want to burn the .ISO as a image in tools or frome the quick launch it seas "burn image"

not a data disk

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
                if using K3b you want to burn the .ISO as a image in tools or frome the quick launch it seas "burn image"
                It looks like in the picture:

Burn CD and DVD ISO Images with K3B: may be helpful.

If not k3b, let us know what you are using to burn the disc.
                Attached Files
                Welcome newbies!
                Verify the ISO
                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

OK thanks to everyones help I am up and running on the live version of the CD and it seems to work fine so I guess I am ready for the install.

Someone said earlier "I would also recommend downloading the GParted LiveCD to use to prepare your HD for the new installation."

This machine has only ever had Kubuntu 6.06.2 installed on it previously.

It has two hard drives in it and I think when I originally installed Kubuntu I let it do it's own recommended partitioning (it was a long time ago).

So reading the earlier posts in this threads it suggests that I remove any existing partitions from my drives. Is that all I need to do?

Comment

If you have only had Linux on this PC, then you could just use the installer on the LiveCD. BUT, there have been some who experienced issues using it, especially for setting up partitions. That's why it has been suggested/recommended that you use GParted to do this before you begin the installation. In your case, you would use GParted to reformat the partitions you intend to use for this new installation. I'm assuming that on one of the HDs you have at least two partitions - one for root ( / ) and one for /home ? If not, it would be a good idea to create a separate partition for /home. A third partition for swap is advisable if you don't have a lot of RAM or you intend to hibernate or sleep your OS.

Comment

So reading the earlier posts in this threads it suggests that I remove any existing partitions from my drives.
                      No, not both drives. I would only recommend removing the Kubuntu partition from your primary boot drive. There is no need to mess with the partitions on the secondary drive.

If you don't want to delete partitions, then you could just format over your Kubuntu partition with ext4. I think that would be enough for the Karmic installer to proceed.

Remember that we are talking about deleting your data here. Take every precaution to make sure you know exactly what your are doing each step of the way.
                      Welcome newbies!
                      Verify the ISO
                      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Here is why you want to delete your existing Kubuntu partition before installing Karmic.

Originally posted by KarmicKoala/TechnicalOverview - Ubuntu Wiki
                        ext4 by default

The new "ext4" filesystem is used by default for new installations with Ubuntu 9.10 RC; of course, other filesystems are still available via the manual partitioner. Existing filesystems will not be upgraded.

If you have full backups and are confident, you can upgrade an existing ext3 filesystem to ext4 by following directions in the Ext4 Howto. (Note that the comments on that page at the time of writing about Ubuntu's use of vol_id vs. blkid are out of date and are not applicable to Ubuntu 9.10 RC.) Maximum performance will typically only be achieved on new filesystems, not on filesystems that have been upgraded from ext3.
                        Welcome newbies!
                        Verify the ISO
                        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Ok I have done the install and it appeared to work OK but now I can't login.

Here's what I did and what happened.

Ok I used GParted LiveCD. It showed I had three partitions on my hard drive. The first partition was showing as ext3 formatted and GParted allowed me to change this to ext4.

I have re-checked what itlooks like now
                          dev/hda1 ext4 73.29 Gb
                          dev/hda2 extended 1.24 Gb
                          dev/hda5 linux swap 1.24 Gb

I made no alterations to the other partitions.

I then installed the live CD and the demo worked fine. I then did the install from this which appeared to go smoothly.

it asked something about whether I wanted to install in a new partition or use the whole disc. I select the whole disk.

During the install when it came to the 'user' section of the install it asked me my name which I typed in.

From this it selected my first name as the username and I choose a password.

The install progressed smoothly.

at the end of the install process the Desktop started up seemed to work fine.

I then logged out and rebooted.

When it came to the login screen I typed my new username and password...but I couldn't log in - no error message , just very brief black screen and then back to login screen

I went right thru the whole install again from scratch and same result. I can login.

I can start in safe mode and it asks me my username and password which I type in and it accepts.

I type 'startx' and it begins to start the desktop and then just locks up.
                          Same thiing if I do 'sudo startx'

Help, what have I done wrong and what should I do next?

Comment

I have re-checked what itlooks like nowdev/hda1 ext4 73.29 Gb
                            . . .
                            it asked something about whether I wanted to install in a new partition or use the whole disc. I select the whole disk.
                            I bet those old partitions are gone now. If you boot with the Grub live CD and check the partition table now, I be you only see two partitions. One will be ext4 Linux, and the other will be linux swap. I think that 's what the whole disk option does. No harm done in this case, assuming you really did back up all your important data.

When it came to the login screen I typed my new username and password...but I couldn't log in - no error message , just very brief black screen and then back to login screen
                            Ugh! Oh noes, it is the login loop problem! Sorry, but I do not know what is causing it. Hope Snowhog or one of the other heavy hitters comes back to help.

Meanwhile, you can try searching the forums for login loop and see if anything looks promising.
                            Welcome newbies!
                            Verify the ISO
                            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard

I bet those old partitions are gone now. If you boot with the Grub live CD and check the partition table now, I bet you only see two partitions. One will be ext4 Linux, and the other will be linux swap. I think that 's what the whole disk option does. No harm done in this case, assuming you really did back up all your important data.
                              When I rechecked this is what I had

dev/hda1 ext4 73.29 Gb

Anyway am back up and running now. I did a complete new install but this time I changed my username back to what it was with the old install.

Many thanks for all the help with this. Really appreciated. The latest version is going to take a bit of learning but it looks like it's a big step forward on something that already worked pretty well for me.

Now I just have to work out how to get Gimp reinstalled...

Comment

dev/hda1 ext4 73.29 Gb
                                Surprise! I was wrong

Anyway am back up and running now. I did a complete new install but this time I changed my username back to what it was with the old install.
                                I can not see how that would make a difference unless your old configuration files remained on the computer. Sorry, but I'm at a loss to explain this one.

Now I just have to work out how to get Gimp reinstalled...
                                Alt+F2 -> konsole
                                Code:
                                sudo apt-get install gimp
                                Glad to know it is working for you
                                Welcome newbies!
                                Verify the ISO
                                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
                                X