This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen gets screwed up after installing ATI drivers

Fourth time trying to get the ATI drivers to work, and I'm fed up.
    Every time I try to, I get "frequency out of range" on my monitor when I have to restart my computer after installing ATI drivers for my Radeon HD 4650. I'm on a 64 bit machine, Intel core 2 quad @ 2.16 (approx) GHZ and using Karmic 9.10 of Kubuntu. I'm using a CRT monitor that supports about 75hz at a very low resolution and 60hz at 1024x768 resolution+.

I figured out a key combination to lower the resolution via a key combination once Kubuntu started up and I had the "frequency out of range" message, and it becomes visible, but I can only see maybe at most a 10th of the screen and it's pushed up into the top left corner of the screen. My cursor doesn't appear no matter where I move the mouse, and it's virtually unusable in this state.

I got the latest ATI Catalyst proprietary drivers(cause I want performance and speed). I've had to re-format & re-install Kubuntu MANY times in the past few days due to problems that caused the operating system to not function properly.

Re: Screen gets screwed up after installing ATI drivers

I'd suggest you try the following:
    1. Rename xorg.conf. In terminal type the following:
    Code:
    sudo mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.bak
    Try to restart the computer then and see if that gets your screen to work.

2. Create a new xorg.conf file by typing the following in terminal:
    Code:
    sudo aticonfig --initial
    Catalyst should then make an xorg.conf file matching your hardware.

By the way, have you ever tried the ATI driver in the repositories? Does it work for you?

Comment

"mv: cannot stat '/etc/x11/xorg.conf' no such file or directory"

when I try to do the backup & replace thing you told me to do.

and I have no idea if I tried the repository ATI drivers. I don't believe so, but the days of no sleep and constant banging my head on the keyboard to figure this stuff out is making the days run together

Comment

after you install the driver you might want to run (alt+f2)
        [code=type in krunner]kdesudo amdcccle[/code] to open the control panel for the driver (as root, so you can save the changes). set your display setting in there apply and then restart X (log out and then from sessions menu "restart X").
        you can also check out the wiki for the driver.
        http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Main_Page
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

"kdesudo: cannot connect to X server"

I'm using a wireless adapter, and previous experience tells me how ass-y wireless is in Linux..
          I'm also stealing wireless from the neighbors so wired connection isn't an option LOL

I don't know I might just go back to GNOME Ubuntu. The ATI drivers worked on that when I used it a while back.

Comment

Originally posted by BO3B
            "kdesudo: cannot connect to X server"
            well thats a second issue... there is a solution for that around here somewhere. , you could also install jockey-gtk and use that to install the "restricted" driver for your card , just be sure to uninstall the other driver first.
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

1. If you don't already have an xorg.file you can try the second command to create one antd then restart the computer.
              2. You can also try to install the ATI driver from the repository by doing:
              Code:
              sudo aptitude install fglrx-amdcccle
              that should pull some other dependencies which is fine. I've never had any problems with the drivers in the repository.
              (Not sure if the self-installed drivers will conflict though)
              3. If ATI works for you in Ubuntu, it should work for you in Kubuntu as well. In the worst case you can add KDE to an Ubuntu install by typing
              Code:
              sudo aptitude install kubuntu-desktop

Comment

Working...
              X