This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

putting linux on laptop from 2000?

i was just wondering if anyone knew if there was any type of Linux that can be put on a Toshiba laptop from yr 2000 if possible can i duel boot it with windows i have on it, there is windows-ME on it

Re: putting linux on laptop from 2000?

You bet. Plenty of Linux OS's can be used. It isn't so much the age of the PC, but the architecture of it - BIOS, CPU type and speed, installed RAM, and Graphics Processor Unit it has. Do you know the specifications of the laptop?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

were would i find the specifications at?

Comment

A start is from within Windows itself, using the various 'tools' it has to identify the processor type, amount of installed RAM, size of the HD, and graphics processor it has.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

ok all i could find is this right now

BIOS verison: 1.10, 05/23/2001
          128.0MB RAM
          32-bit
          30G

Comment

With only 128Mb of RAM you are looking at a lightweight distro like DSL, Slitaz ot Tiny Core Linux. Puppy Linux increased their minimum requirements from 64Mb to 128Mb - so you can use an old version previous to 1.0.2 .

...unless you increase the amount of RAM in the laptop. What model is the Toshiba?
            "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
            "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hm, if you want to stay within the Xbuntu paradigm I'd go for crunchbang.
              Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I'd go for crunchbang.
                That's fine, but don't install heavyweight apps on a lightweight OS - Flash, Java, OpenOffice etc, because it all adds up.

Been there, done that!
                "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

i think the model i have is (TAIS) Satellite GenuineIntel Pentium(r) 111 processor

Comment

Working...
                  X