This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot connect to wireless network

I just installed Kubuntu 9.10 x86_64 today.

I can't seem to get my wireless network adapter to connect to my unsecured network. It can see all the networks around me, including the one I'm trying to connect to. I set it to auto-connect, but it won't even manually connect. It remembers it; (when I click the wireless icon in the bottom left corner, it shows my network at the top).

Kubuntu recognizes my device as "rt2800usb" but in Windows Vista (which I'm forced to use to access the internet atm) it's "Linksys WUSB600N Dual-Band Wireless-N USB Network Adapter".

There's no problem connecting to the network on Vista, however and it appears that the adapter works to some extent because it can detect all the networks in the neighborhood like it can in Vista.

Re: Cannot connect to wireless network

I forgot to mention that when I click the wireless icon in the bottom left corner, and then click my network, it says that it's activating or something similar to that, and then it just gives up and says "Not connected"

Comment

It sounds like you are having knetworkmanager problems.

Can you temporarily hook your box to your wireless via a cable from the eth port in back?

If you can, then completely remove knetworkmanager and all of its recommended files, then install wicd.

I had a problem similar to yours when I attempted to replace knm and its runtime with wicd. Ended up with a hybrid which would time out even with the correct password. Another symptom was that even though my wireless is configured WPA, only WEP was offered when I attempted to configure my wireless. Only completely removing every library and knm competely, including the configuration files, then installing wicd, did wicd work properly, as it is doing now.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the help, but I just decided to got he lazy route and use an older internet adapter. Same performance, since my router isn't N grade range anyways and the internet works like a charm.

Comment

You may still want to concider using Wicd anyway. As a network manger, it, well, works. Many here prefer it over KNM. The important thing however, is that you have a working network connection, so, as the saying goes: "If it ain't broke - don't fix it."
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X