X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumping from Win 7 to Kubuntu

Hey guys,

I have an older IBM laptop thats currently running windows 7 DECENTLY well.
    But I wanna start tinkering with Linux since thats what I'm taking in school.

Well networking anyways.

Besides the fundamental changes I'll experience, is there anything that I'm not likely to think about prior to switching? Subtle changes?

Thanks.

Re: Jumping from Win 7 to Kubuntu

1. take all the backup on external drive (just in case)
    2. read the step by step guide for dual boot.. you can find it on this forum..and install accordingly
    3. enjoy fast and beautiful kubuntu
    asus A52N
    Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
    AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
    windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

I'm not sure exactly what you can do about these things in advance, but:

The number 1 problem affecting people who switching from windoze, is wireless internet access. If you can get access to a wired internet connection (at least long enough to get Kubuntu installed) your experience will be MUCH better than if you can't.

The number 2 problem is getting their windoze LAN to recognise the Linux interloper. Read about SAMBA.

Aside from those two universal problems, your problems will involve learning how to do things in Linux. That's what this site is for. Somebody else has experienced just about any hardware or software problem you can come up with. If you can't find their solution, just start a new thread and ask.

Welcome to Linux!

Comment

Be sure to export your email lists and browser urls and save then on some external storage, along with important documents, images, etc...
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Assuming your rig has a CD/DVD drive, download/burn a LiveCD of the Kubuntu flavor of your choice - I'd recommend starting with Jaunty 9.04 or Karmic 9.10 - and see how it does. IF you can successfully boot, get a desktop, AND have working sound and can connect to the Internet, then you should have no problems actually installing.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hey, I've got a T41 and it runs perfectly. Which model you got?
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
            X