This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon printers [SOLVED]

It wasn't the solution I hoped for but it worked.
    Thanks

Forgive me if this isn't the right place to put this but.... I studied this forum to get help connecting a Canon Pixma MP 480 printer to no avail. The general consensus seems to be to use HP printers. But because I'm stubborn and I already owned the Canon I emailed their tech support for help. Their response was a terse "we don't support Ubuntu". > I replied that I would post this on Linux forums to warn users to not buy Canon products.

Re: Canon printers

The place to check for printer compatibility is The Open Printing Database. I couldn't find the Pixma 480 on their list at all (under that name).

The general rule is:
    buy a printer that works "perfectly",
    live with a printer that works "mostly",
    expect to be disappointed by a printer that works "partially"
    replace a "paperweight".

The good news is that a number of Canon printers do work with Linux. You really have to read the details for your printer, though.

Comment

Re: Canon printers

If you find yourself with an unsupported Canon printer, sometimes $39 USD is all it takes to get it working in Linux. Your Pixma MP480 does have a Turboprint driver available:

http://www.turboprint.info/printers_Canon.html

I personally inherited a Pixma iP6220D with this problem. The Turboprint driver does a great job. Do be careful to save your downloaded driver file, and the key that they send you via e-mail, someplace safe, against the day that you need to set it up again.

Comment

Working...
      X