This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crash on upgrade to Karmic from Hardy

Hi, I upgraded my Hardy using the version upgrade button in Adept, and now am getting a message on startup saying "Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0,0)". From what I've been able to find on this forum and by Googling, is that I should not have done the upgrade this way. I also did not back up my data before the upgrade. I guess this I what I get for not doing my research first! My question is, is all my data still intact on my hard disk if I take it in somewhere to get someone to recover it? I need my photos and my bookkeeping files. If I have those things I can do a clean install of Karmic from a live CD.

Re: Crash on upgrade to Karmic from Hardy

do you have a live cd ? or can you make one on a diferent box?

if so you may be abell to recover your own data and posably fix this...........but hardy to Karmic is quite a jump.

when you upgraded did it appear to complet ok or did that crash,stop,freez or eneything.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Re: Crash on upgrade to Karmic from Hardy

Thanks! I do have the live CD from Hardy that I am able to boot from and I can access my data now. I don't know what it did because I let it go by itself for a while and then when I came back the monitor said "No signal" like it does when the CPU is shut off, but the CPU was on. I shut it off and then turned it on again and it wouldn't boot and had that message. So now I am downloading Karmic and will make a live cd to install it that way. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
      X