This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to Share Folders?

Ok I've come a long way from this morning since i first installed Kubuntu on the notebook, but for the life of me can't figure out what I'm doing wrong to get folders to share!

This is what is working so far.

Installed Samba, but when I click on the icon from Settings/Samba, nothing happens.

Used GNU nano to edit the samba/smb.conf file to change the workgroup from default "Workgroup" to my "SKYNET".

Opened up Dolphin, went to my home directory and created a directory called "inbound". set all permissions to read/write for that folder only.

Right clicked on "inbound" and selected "properties". The fourth tab" share", it tells me I "need to be authorized to share folders". I click the "Configure File Sharing.." button, and nothing happens.

Back on Dolphin, Under "Network" I can now see the "SKYNET" workgroup, and see the other window computers (wahoo!!)

Clicking on the windows computers allows me to see the shared directories, and even pull up files (wahoo!)

Hoping on the Windows box, the windows network can even see the Linux box. Clicking on it and inserting the username/password I created earlier in terminal mode (don't remember how I did it) allow me to log on, but nothing is displayed.

So at this point, how to I get a folder to share, so the windows computers can see it?

If there is an easier way to share a folder instead of keeping it in the home directory, I have no qualms switching!

Re: How to Share Folders?

Have you tried the online alternatives like Dropbox? https://www.dropbox.com/
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

you should have your shares defined something like:

[shared]
      path = /shared
      comment = Shared files
      browseable = yes
      public = yes
      writable = yes
      inherit permissions = yes
      create mask = 0775
      security mask = 0775
      # force create mode = 560
      # force group = 560

Note the last two lines are commented out...

Please Read Me

Comment

Before you proceed, your linux machine needs to have kdenetwork-filesharing installed if you want to use the desktop interface to share folders; you need samba for Ubuntu to be a host and not just smbclient. The latter just allows Ubuntu to be a client and not a host.

sudo apt-get install kdenetwork-filesharing (this will also install samba)

You may also need to edit some things in Windows if it still does not "see" your Linux machine. As per this site http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/w...roubleshooting:

Add the IP address of the Samba server to the WINS server settings, and enable Windows name resolution via DNS using the advanced TCP/IP settings menu on the PC. You can get to this menu using this method:

* Click on the Network Connections icon in the Windows Control Panel.
        * Right-click on the network connection, and select Properties.
        * Click on the Internet Properties (TCP/IP) menu option and then click on the Properties button.
        * Click on the Advanced button and then on the WINS tab.

You may also need to add the name of the samba server to the PC's C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts file.
        The last thing quoted here is what I needed to do to get XP to see my Ubuntu host. It also saw my pinter that was on my Ubuntu server so all I had to do was install the driver in XP.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! I'll switch over to the Kubuntu side and check it out.

Comment

If you are on KDE4.4 this may be useful:
            http://www.ghacks.net/2010/02/18/eas...ng-in-kde-4-4/
            HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

The KDEnetwork-fileshareing appears to have done the trick. Now there are options to set up the sharing, thanks for the tip!

And just upgraded to 4.4!

Comment

Working...
              X