X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toshiba Tecra A4-S313 Drivers?

Hello all,

I am very new to the entire Linux scene. A friend of mine asked me to install Kubuntu 9.10 on her old Toshiba laptop, since I am actually computer literate and she is not.

The install went perfectly fine. She is very happy with her new OS, and I'm certainly glad I could help her out. The only question I have now is what I have to do to get Toshiba specific hardware functions working.

It would be nice if she could dim the brightness of the screen, to save battery power, and use many of the other function keys on her keyboard as well.

As I said she is perfectly happy with it as is, and if no one can point me in the right direction then I guess it's ok. I would like to get her computer working as efficiently as possible simply to make using it as easy on her as can be.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Re: Toshiba Tecra A4-S313 Drivers?

Are you saying that Fn-F6/F7 (on my Toshiba Satellite P105-S6147) don't adjust the brightness? They do on mine.

You can check to see if the following packages are installed (use Synaptic if it is installed - if it isn't, install it):

toshset
    acpi-support

If you don't have Synaptic installed, you can check via the console (CLI):
    sudo apt-get install --simulate toshset acpi-support
    If either (or one or the other) is already installed, you'll get the message:
    toshset is already the newest version.
    acpi-support is already the newest version.
    If not installed, repeat the command and remove the --simulate option.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Toshiba Tecra A4-S313 Drivers?

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Are you saying that Fn-F6/F7 don't adjust the brightness? They do on mine.
      Yes, that is what I am saying. I have checked both toshset and acpi-support, as you have suggested, and both are the "newest version."

Comment

Working...
      X