This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

partition problem

So I am using Kubuntu and I love this operating system. I have to say that before I get crucified for what I am about to post. I want to try and set up a duel boot on my Lab top. I intend on having windows and kubuntu on the same computer, I know that if i install windows it will try and take over my computer so I want to format my partitions and set aside the right amount of memory so that windows does not take over, I am just a newbie so perhaps this might not be the best way to go about accomplishing what I intend on doing. I am hoping somebody out there can point me in the right direction.

Re: partition problem

The definitive dual-booting guide: Windows 7, Linux, Vista and XP step-by-step

You'll want to configure your HD (set up partitions) for use before you begin. GParted - a LiveCD - is what most use and recommend for doing this.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, I thought there was a way to resize partitions in the shell, but that just shows how much I know.

Comment

There is, but you will be much better off if you do it using GParted.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. So I am checking out the gparted website, as i understand it, this is a program that is downloaded and then burned on to CD. Is that right? do I then boot from the CD and follow the instructions as needed? When i do try to format my partitions, are there certain partitions that I should be aware not to mess/delete? I currently have my labtop as a dual boot with KDE and Gnome, I prefer the Kubuntu more so this is the one I am looking to keep, I do not care if I lose Gnome completely and have already saved all my important files from my computer to an external hardrive. Any words of advice?

Comment

pleas post the output of

Code:
            sudo fdisk -l
            that's a lower case L not an I

you say your dool booting KDE?(Kubuntu) and Gnome?(ubuntu)....is that right?

Or do you just chose KDE or Gnome frome the login (not boot) screen?

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I tried out Gparted live cd last night for the first time, and I gotta say, it's the best! it's easy to work with, and for a live cd it doesn't take long to download or burn the image because it's not a very big file overall.

Gparted gets my vote for sure as a great partition manager - whether you're using Windows or Linux it doesn't care since you boot the computer into it anyway.

Comment

What do you want to use Windows for?

Depending upon the answer to it it might be a good idea to install and run it within Virtualbox running in kubuntu (basically keeping it in a cage ) You will then be running it as a virtual machine. No partitioning needed at all then.

The benefit is that if you are happily working in 'buntu but come across something you need windows for you simply launch virtualbox and then the Virtual Machine within it. No reboot required. Might be worth it unless you are a windows power user or want to use a graphically intensive package.

Works for me

HTH

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Lost
                  ... duel boot...
                  Was that a misspelling or are you trying to be funny

Originally posted by Lost
                  if i install windows it will try and take over my computer so I want to format my partitions and set aside the right amount of memory so that windows does not take over, I am just a newbie so perhaps this might not be the best way to go about accomplishing what I intend on doing. I am hoping somebody out there can point me in the right direction.
                  IMO this is the best way to begin a dual boot setup. PLAN your partition sizes well so you don't have to do this all over again.

You'll need no more than 16gb for your linux install, but it's way better to have /home and /tmp on separate partitions. Depends on how much drive space you have.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hope this question is a good follow up to this topic. I am currently running 9.04 and would like to be able to have 9.10 to experiment with. I noticed that Snowhog is triple booting and I assume this is accomplished by putting each version into a separate partition as apposed to just selecting a version at login. Is this correct? See, I'm already confused cause how else can you pick which one to use, right? So assuming thats how it's done, I have attached what my partitions are right now.
                    Can the installation be done with apt-get dist-upgrade or should it be from a live cd? TIA for any insights.
                    Attached Files

Comment

If one wants to install more than one Linux distribution - in my case, I have three - you just have to establish partitions on your HD/HDs for their use. In my three-OS setup, I have seven partitions, three for use as / (root) for each OS; three for use as the /home for each OS; and one SWAP partition used by all three OS installations.

In this way, you get to choose which OS to boot into from the GRUB menu, which, depending on which GRUB you are running - Legacy or GRUB 2 - might require you to do some hand editing of the menu.lst (Legacy GRUB) or the appropriate files in /etc/grub.d/

Comment

OK, I got the partition part, but how do I access the grub menu? Does it show up automatically if you have more than one distribution installed?

Comment

First of all: my setup is similar to snowhogs - I have five bootable installs on four hard drives. they all share four swap partitions and a /tmp partition. Since three of my installs are RAID0, I have three /boot partitions, five / partitions, one /files partition (I use to store my documents, photos whatever), and each drive has a backup partition on it.

As far as GRUB
                          It doesn't automatically detect new installs usually, but how you access it depends on which version of GRUB, how you installed it, and how the distro sets it up. This, being linux, there are dozens of different ways to handle this. IF you're only using one linux install and one windows install - this should install correctly with either version of GRUB and if it doesn't it's easy to fix.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                          X