This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub - Desperate for help

My son G V Srinivasan (gvsrinivasan) was using a Dell laptop where he had installed Kubuntu (version 9.10 - I am not sure about it).

After desperately fighting cancer in the bone, he passed away last week and I wanted to donate the laptop to the school where he studied.

Unfortunately when I switched on the laptop, I found "Grub loading - error: file not found... grub recovery>

I have no idea about the Kubuntu OS because I am more familiar with Windows.

I wanted to restore the laptop to a working condition at the earliest before I donate it to the school.

I need help from you. Please be patient and explain the trouble shooting methods in plain language.

With best regards.

Veda

PS: I have used a live cd to boot from cd rom drive but without any luck

Re: Grub - Desperate for help

I have used a live cd to boot from cd rom drive but without any luck
    You need to access the BIOS and make sure that the computer will boot from CD-Rom first - before the Hard Drive.

If this works the LiveCD should have an option to install. Try that and tell it to use the whole disk. It will write over everything on the disk.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by veda
      My son G V Srinivasan (gvsrinivasan) was using a Dell laptop where he had installed Kubuntu (version 9.10 - I am not sure about it).

After desperately fighting cancer in the bone, he passed away last week and I wanted to donate the laptop to the school where he studied.
      I am so sorey to hear that.
      I lost a son on june 15 2007 ..................... my hart is with you.

Originally posted by veda
      PS: I have used a live cd to boot from cd rom drive but without any luck
      when you say that ...(luck) ... do you mean you couldent boot the cd ...or... couldent fix the grub problem.

if your like me then then you may want to look around in the laptop at you sons things and or copey some of it off before you donate it to the school ........................my son had poims and wallpapers he had made and riten .

but first thing's first ...... and thats geting it to boot a cd..........so get back and let us know if you can and if the cd made it to a live OS

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

So sorry for your loss.

Would you not want to remove all personal files before donating it?

If it were me, I would use a disk wiper like DBAN first, then reinstall Kubuntu 9.10.

You can find DBAN thru Google

Comment

Working...
        X