Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having trouble enabling desktop effects...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having trouble enabling desktop effects...

I downloaded Kubuntu 9.10 64-bit about 2 weeks ago, I decided to try the desktop effects, I went to the desktop effects settings, went to all effects and chose the effects I wanted. I clicked on apply and a window popped up saying KDE Window Manager The Following Effects Cannot be Activated: blah blah blah. Please help. If this is of any importance I have an Acer Aspire 4530 with AMD Athlon X2 64 cpu and a nvidia GeForce 9100m G video card.

Re: Having trouble enabling desktop effects...

I got the same message, but, when I went to Desktop Settings and changed my theme to Glassified (downloaded it from New Theme) it turned out translucent.
    Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

I also had glassified applied as my theme, so I'm not sure what the problem is, maybe the video card?

Comment

Originally posted by poopy doop
        I also had glassified applied as my theme, so I'm not sure what the problem is, maybe the video card?
        It's all KDE 4.4, they are ironing out the problems this way instead of putting it out as an Alpha to get the bugs out. Be careful of any upgrades.
        Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

I downloaded Kubuntu 9.10 64-bit about 2 weeks ago, I decided to try the desktop effects, I went to the desktop effects settings, went to all effects and chose the effects I wanted. I clicked on apply and a window popped up saying KDE Window Manager The Following Effects Cannot be Activated: blah blah blah. Please help. If this is of any importance I have an Acer Aspire 4530 with AMD Athlon X2 64 cpu and a nvidia GeForce 9100m G video card.
          Sorry for Hi-Jacking your thread but I'm in the same boat, instead mine is the K9.10 32-bit version. I tried changing themes, downloading and installing themes in emerald, cairo-dock config problems... I switched into Linux a few weeks back and I'm so confused that I'm thinking of biting the bullet and returning back to MS I want to config my desktop to meet my personality and make it my own but every turn I get even more disappointed. My 160G Ipod doesn't work and when it does it doesn't sync all the songs using Banshee, Amarok, Exaile, current Songbird don't support my Ipod... SAVE ME! I don't want to return to the evil MicroSoft Empire.

Raf

Comment

Try this URL: http://www.linuxmint.com/index.php

Comment

I think I'll try Ubuntu, and if that doesn't work, I'll use windows until I get a more powerful computer.

Comment

Your PC is more powerful than mine (centrino laptop (4 years old) with intel 915 graphics so things should work Okay.

What version of KDE are you running and have you installed the nvidia drivers?

@ rsaavedra74. With kubuntu (assuming you are running KDE) you don't need compiz, emerald or Cairo dock. Gnome uses them, KDE uses kwineffects. If you try to run them within kde you may well be causing conflicts.

I don't have an Ipod but I do know that a number of the applications you have referred to should sync with it but I believe there is a knack to it. You could also try gtkpod, available in your package manager.

HTH

Ian

Comment

Working...
                X