This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem with instaling drivers

hello, i'm new to linux but i got few things on my own. i tried to instal wireless driver, so i went on administration->hardware drivers. linux found some drivers: "Broadcom STA wireless driver" and "ATI/AMD propietary FGLRX graphics driver".

when i try to activate wireless driver, it starts downloading and then software freezes. i can do everything else but this doesn't respond neither on close. i didn't try to use command "kill" because i dunno it

similar happens to second driver when i try to activate it, it downloads and then freezes...

help me, i don't know what else to do...

Re: problem with instaling drivers

Originally posted by frozen_djA
    hello, i'm new to linux but i got few things on my own. i tried to instal wireless driver, so i went on administration->hardware drivers. linux found some drivers: "Broadcom STA wireless driver" and "ATI/AMD propietary FGLRX graphics driver".

when i try to activate wireless driver, it starts downloading and then software freezes. i can do everything else but this doesn't respond neither on close. i didn't try to use command "kill" because i dunno it

similar happens to second driver when i try to activate it, it downloads and then freezes...

help me, i don't know what else to do...
    If you need to download the drivers without an Internet link, try this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1368699
    Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

i already tried that...

Comment

i already tried that...
        Okay, open Terminal and type in :
        sudo apt-get install b43-fwcutter

If you get an error then try the following link:
        Step by step link at:

http://dimitar.me/?p=728
        Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

i wrote in terminal sudo apt...
          then it asked me a pass but it didn't respond on what i was trying to write only on enter and then it said wrong password...
          tried 3 times to write and then several more times sudo apt...

i tried with that link, downloaded, opened terminal:
          mkdir hybrid_wl
          cd hybrid_wl
          tar xzf <path>/hybrid-portsrc-x86_64.tar.gz
          "no such file or directory"
          then i moved file to hybrid_wl directory and tried again with "tar xzf..." and again no such file or directory
          i noticed it isn't the same file name in readme and the file i downloaded so i wrote again the command
          tar xzf <path>/hybrid-portsrc-x86_64-v5.60.48.36.tar.gz
          and again no file....

Comment

i wrote in terminal sudo apt...
            then it asked me a pass but it didn't respond on what i was trying to write only on enter and then it said wrong password...
            tried 3 times to write and then several more times sudo apt...

i tried with that link, downloaded, opened terminal:
            mkdir hybrid_wl
            cd hybrid_wl
            tar xzf <path>/hybrid-portsrc-x86_64.tar.gz
            "no such file or directory"
            then i moved file to hybrid_wl directory and tried again with "tar xzf..." and again no such file or directory
            i noticed it isn't the same file name in readme and the file i downloaded so i wrote again the command
            tar xzf <path>/hybrid-portsrc-x86_64-v5.60.48.36.tar.gz
            and again no file....
            First problem you may have your password wrong, Terminal is case sensitive and very unforgiving. Second problem to unpack with Terminal you have to cd (Change Directory) to where the file is. You have the right idea using the current file name. Changing directory you can leave out <path> from the command line.

Comment

then it asked me a pass but it didn't respond on what i was trying to write
              When you type your password, there is no feedback on the screen (you see nothing). This is for security.

Comment

Working...
              X