This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clueless can't reboot after installing updates

Hi I'm an XP user (albeit not sophisticated) that for some reason has gotten curious about Linux. I discovered wubi and thought it would be ideal. So far I've used Ubuntu for a while and then decided to try Kubuntu. I deleted Ubuntu in add/remove in Windows and installed Kubuntu using the defaults (17GB etc). It worked fine for a day then I clicked yes to install 161 updates/debuggers and clicked reboot, the screen went black briefly like the screensaver then when I tried to boot into Kubuntu ended up on the grub page where it says 'minimal bash like line editing is supported'. I also need any replies in pretty plain English I'm really bad slow when it comes to this kind of stuff.

I have a Dell XPSM1710 with XP Media Direct and an Invidia Go1750gtx graphics card fwiw.

Re: Clueless can't reboot after installing updates

We are seeing a lot of issues with Wubi. Until someone else chimes in here, you might read the opening paragraph here:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Replacing wubildr worked, tyty. I'm back in Kubuntu now. I actually had 2 wubildr's so I deleted 1 and replaced the other. I suppose I did it a few days ago when I clumsily tried to fix a problem in Ubuntu.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, Barge Ass, and nice job there on your end!
        If you are around and spot more Wubi cases (we are getting several), you might chime in and direct folks to your experience with it . (I know nothing about Wubi, myself.)
        Thanks again.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks Qqmike and Barge Ass. This sounds like the solution to what's been happening to me since yesterday and I can't wait to give it a shot at lunch today.

Of course, then it's on to the Broadcom wireless problem.

Comment

No worries! It would be helpful if it is the same problem you could chime in with the results after replacing wubildr.

Comment

Yeah well... the fix failed for me but I believe that it was due to operator error since, in reviewing the instructions, I found a possibly important step that I forgot to do.

At that point I decided to just partition the hard drive and do a standard install, which has been working fine. Well, fine for a new Linux install on a new machine, which means that I have my little list of glitches and problems to fix and tweaks to make but I knew that would be the case going in.

Comment

I've had this happen to me multiple times. The link in QQMikes post tells you every thing you need to do right at the beginning.

Comment

Working...
                X