Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Laptop taking a bashing when nothing happens.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop taking a bashing when nothing happens.

Hello,
    I noticed something quite weird and hope that someone can help.
    When ever my laptop is untouched for a while is goes to a screen saver (black screen), but when I come back is seems as though is has been doing something that requires a lot of CPU. The fans are blowing, it's warm and until I move the mouse the CPU working diode is flashing almost constantly. Its really weird. Any ideas?

Re: Laptop taking a bashing when nothing happens.

Huh -- sounds like the Windows machine at my office.

The first thing I think of is, right before you walk away from it next time, open a Konsole window and enter
    Code:
    Then, when you come back and it is thrashing away, look in the top window and see what the heck is going on.

Comment

Check to make sure that you don't really have a screensaver module running somewhere. Check both SystemSettings > Desktop > ScreenSaver and make sure nothing is checked, and also check with CTRL-ESC to make sure that no xscreensaver process is running. It might be trying to run a saver that requires video features you don't have setup, and is therefore giving you a black screen while chewing up your cpu trying to run.
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I have disabled the screen saver, and will report back later today!

Comment

Working...
        X