This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting Sun Java Plug-in to work with Firefox 3.6 x64

How do you get the Sun Java Plug-in to work with Firefox 3.6 x64? I've tried installing it and what not, but I'm kinda stuck on how to go from there.

Re: Getting Sun Java Plug-in to work with Firefox 3.6 x64

Originally posted by Prescience
    I've tried installing it and what not, but I'm kinda stuck on how to go from there.
    what do you mean?........go from ware
    how did you try to install??

open a terminal and run

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras
    and you will get that and more

like mp3 suport .avi bla bla

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I wish it were so simple. I think the problem is with code changes in Gecko. I know that with Windows, it wasn't a problem (I test their nightly builds) because I could just tell the JRE to use the new out of process java plug-in. Firefox 3.6 can't even detect the old plug-in. I think the same thing I'm describing in Windows is the problem I'm having now in Kubuntu. In other words, I don't think Firefox can detect the old plug-in, and I don't even know what the new plug-in is called in Linux or if it is even a separate plug-in. Maybe to change some setting in Terminal or something. I don't know.

Comment

I have the same issue, but also with a wrinkle.. I have a Java based website for work that I have to use. Unfortunately it requires a newer version of Java than what is in 9.10. I've considered installing Sun's .bin update but don't know how that will react in Kubuntu (or vice verse). In Gnome I wouldn't hesitate.

Comment

Hi
          With firefox 3.6 the simlink to the plugin has changed.
          http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnote...all-linux.html

The previews versions of firefox also can use that new plugin, but the new firefox works only with the new one.

I installed both without the officials packages and it works great.

Comment

I tried this and it didn't work for me. It might be due to the way I installed Firefox 3.6. I just copied the firefox.bin (version 3.6) to my firefox directory overwriting the previous version. Everything else works ok though, so I don't see why this should be a problem.

I should mention that I'm using the i386 plugin located at /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/lib/i386/1libnpjp2.so which I've dropped into /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/.

Comment

Working...
            X