This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to resize partitions?

HI guys...well here goes my prob, hope u guys can help me out as u always do :P

So the thing is that i have this unallocated partiton in my external drive, besides other partitions that i got...and i want to use that partiton to resize my kubuntu partition of 100 gigs and make it 200 gigs (my unallocated partition is 100 gigs big and my kubuntu partition is installed in my external drive.) So any ideas how i can do it?? thanks.

Re: How to resize partitions?

you can simpily install gparted from the repos and resize w/ that tool.must have the disk unmounted other wise you need a live disk to resize search for "gparted live disk" its basicly just a very small kernel w/ xorg and gparted so you can do offline resizing.

sith
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Easier/safer using the GParted Live CD (as sithlord48 seems to indicate). That way, the partition(s) you are working on will REMAIN unmounted as you work. Less hassle.
      GParted (Live CD, USB, HD)
      http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
      New Manual. New man page. See Documentation:
      http://gparted.sourceforge.net/documentation.php
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

If you just want to resize then gparted live is the way to go.

On the other hand I would consider making a separate /home partition, if for no other than security reasons.

You can use gparted or gaprted live for this as well, format your unallocated partition to ext3 / ext4 and then follow these instructions:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

or
        http://www.trainsignaltraining.com/u...on/2010-02-02/

Both approaches are basically the same, just a matter of preference.

After doing this you can then resize / and expand /home to you needs with gparted live cd.

Hope this helps

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks guys got gparted already from long time ago but i want to resize the kubuntu partition the way u guys said but seems that or i dont know how to use it or im using a wrong method.

Look: (doing this from my kubuntu partition, which is the one that i want to resize......wont't give me any prob cause of that right? i can do it from the same partition im resizing right?? or it has to be in a live cd....??)

Thanks guys.

Attached Files

Comment

Look: (doing this from my kubuntu partition, which is the one that i want to resize......wont't give me any prob cause of that right? i can do it from the same partition im resizing right?? or it has to be in a live cd....??)
            AFAIK you can only re-size or allocate an unmounted partition when using gaprted. So my bet would be you cannot re-size your Kubuntu partition from within Kubuntu.

For safety sake I would use the gparted Live CD as mentioned above and have a read through the docs as suggested above as well.
            4 GB Ram
            Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
              AFAIK you can only re-size or allocate an unmounted partition when using gaprted. So my bet would be you cannot re-size your Kubuntu partition from within Kubuntu.

For safety sake I would use the gparted Live CD as mentioned above and have a read through the docs as suggested above as well.
              Yeah thanks...thats what i guessed right now when it said cannot unmount partition drive....lol thanks for confirming it always helpfull

Comment

No problem and good luck
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
                X