This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KlamAV configuration help

Installed KlamAV and dropped clamtk Works fine in my home directory, but now it doesn't want to scan the system as it doesn't have permissions. I searched and wasn't able to find anyone else with this problem. How do I force KlamAV to act as root and scan the entire system?

Thanks in advance,

Jimbo

Re: KlamAV configuration help

Start it from the Terminal with the command:
    kdesudo klamav
    That's how you can update the database too.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks!

How do I make that permanent so when I click the icon, it already has the appropriate permissions?

Thanks in advance,

Jimbo

Comment

If you right click on the icon and select properties you can change the command name - simply put kdesudo in front of the existing command and that should do it.

Generally you would not normally run things as root on a routine basis. By refraining from doing so, you tend to restrict any nasties that come your way to the home directory. Running apps as root (especially internet-facing ones) exposes the whole system. If you only install applications that are available in your package manager, and use root only for administrative tasks, the chances of a system infection are extremely remote.

It might make sense to set up 2 icons - both of which are identical except for the command - if it will make you feel more comfortable being able to scan the system on a regular basis.

HTH
        ian

Comment

Working...
        X