This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grub

I was messin around with a usb and now when i turn on my pc all i get is a screen full with the word grub it is a dual boot with XP and kubuntu please help I have a lot of stuff I dont want to loose

Re: Grub

Not much useful info here. But, if you were messing around with Grub while you have a USB stick inserted, then put that USB stick back in and reboot and see if things just don't work again. Did that stick have a Linux OS on it?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I just put it in and same thing. ya backtrack 4 was on it tried to install as live install in usb then tryed to format the usb when it didn't work

Comment

Just reinstall GRUB.

If 9.04 or before (i.e., the old GRUB Legacy):
        How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0

If you have the new GRUB 2 with 9.10, then:
        GRUB 2 A Guide for Users
        http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0

You want the sections "re-install GRUB."
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

When I enter the command sudo grub-mkconfig i get the message grub probe: errorr: cannot find a device for / yes I have 9.10

Comment

That won't 'reinstall' grub - it just generate a grub config file. As Qqmike posted, and depending on what version of Grub you have - Legacy or Grub 2 - follow his guide for reinstalling Grub.

Comment

I have been trying but with no look. It isn't clear enough whats to be entered and whats there just to describe whats happening as i am new to this.

Comment

In both the how-to's, it's in Section 3 -- Reinstalling GRUB (select the subsection doing it by Live CD).
                You will use the Kubuntu Live CD.
                It's written out there in more detail than we would write it out here.

Or ... try Super Grub Disk Live CD (CDROM). It would re-install GRUB Legacy for you (GNU?Linux, Fix Boot).
                Super Grub Disk, new site: http://www.supergrubdisk.org/
                (get the regular cdrom, which I think is at the bottom of the download list).
                An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Ok i got it thanks sorry I just tryed a few varients of what i taught it said to enter and got it

Comment

It's an amazing thing, when one actually follows the instructions.

Comment

Its an amazing thing how u can tell that some one is an ******* without meeting him

Comment

....... smoke clearing the air...........

so, x-dog, you re-installed GRUB and it boots now, right?
                        (which GRUB?, not that it matters now)

Comment

Working...
                        X