This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Linux installations?

Hey so I just installed Kubuntu in my windows pc, i have a c and a d drives, so i installed it on my d drive (but not inside windows with wubi, as a new partition), i had some problems during the installation and had to uninstall and reinstall a couple of times, now it's working perfectly but when i start the computer i have like 7 boot options!
    Start ubuntu 2.6.31-17
    Start ubuntu 2.6.31-17 on recovery mode
    Start ubuntu 2.6.31-14
    Start ubuntu 2.6.31-14 on recovery mode
    Memory check
    Memory check with something (i don't remember what is it)
    Windows 7

Anyway i used the 2 versions of kubuntu and they appear to be same, but why the hell do i have so many options?? Last time i used ubuntu i got 2 options Ubuntu or Windows.
    So what do i do? I am afraid to uninstall one of them and loose everything....
    Thanks for the help guys...
    Jenny

Re: 2 Linux installations?

you have 2 kernels with recovery mode's

you probebley did updates and got the newest kernel.... 2.6.31-17 use that one for a wile and make shur it work's well.

then you CAN remove it with your package manager.

BUT I would keep it for a backup just in case

I happen to keep sevrall just for the heck of it

vmlinuz-2.6.28-11-generic
    vmlinuz-2.6.28-15-generic
    vmlinuz-2.6.31-12-generic
    vmlinuz-2.6.31-13-generic
    vmlinuz-2.6.31-14-generic
    vmlinuz-2.6.31-15-generic
    vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-generic
    vmlinuz-2.6.31-17-generic

but your fine as is

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts
      Hey so I just installed Kubuntu in my windows pc, i have a c and a d drives, so i installed it on my d drive (but not inside windows with wubi, as a new partition), i had some problems during the installation and had to uninstall and reinstall a couple of times, now it's working perfectly but when i start the computer i have like 7 boot options!
      Start ubuntu 2.6.31-17
      Start ubuntu 2.6.31-17 on recovery mode
      Start ubuntu 2.6.31-14
      Start ubuntu 2.6.31-14 on recovery mode
      Memory check
      Memory check with something (i don't remember what is it)
      Windows 7

Anyway i used the 2 versions of kubuntu and they appear to be same, but why the hell do i have so many options?? Last time i used ubuntu i got 2 options Ubuntu or Windows.
      So what do i do? I am afraid to uninstall one of them and loose everything....
      Thanks for the help guys...
      Jenny
      I will answer your question my way, but bare in mind that the purest will take issue.

I will assume you have grub2 installed. You can go to The Grub 2 Guide and learn the basics. Pay special attention to "40_custom", thats where you can make your own entries.

Now for the way I do it. I edit "/boot/grub/grub.cfg" directly and don't have to mess with all those scripts. Yes I know, the first statement is DO NOE EDIT THIS FILE. For me that's an invitation.

Also the purest will tell you that from time to time grub-update will be issued when new kernels arrive and various other times.

I have my own copy of grub.cfg in my home dir that I overwrite it back to my way.

If you use symbolic links then the newest kernel will be used. Also I remove those memory check and recovery mode files. If I want to use use recovery, I simply edit grub and add 'single' to the end of the linux line. Here's a sample of my grub.cfg file:
      Code:
      	default=0
      	gfxmode=640x480
      	insmod gfxterm
      	insmod vbe
      	timeout=11
      	menu_color_normal=white/blue
      	menu_color_highlight=light-cyan/cyan

menuentry "Windows" {
      	insmod ntfs
      	root=(hd0,1)
      	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set e2444e41444e1925
      	drivemap -s (hd0) ${root}
      	chainloader +1
      }
      menuentry "Lucid-A2" {
      	insmod ext2
      	root=(hd0,7)
      	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 74932ef5-68cd-46e4-9a04-bf45f5b94eb6
      	gfxpayload=1024x768
      	linux /vmlinuz root=UUID=74932ef5-68cd-46e4-9a04-bf45f5b94eb6 ro splash
      	initrd /initrd.img
      }
      menuentry "Kubuntu 9.10" {
      	insmod ext2
      	set root=(hd0,11)
      	search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set e5ab8bdc-50cc-4fbe-aecd-7a52fb024301
      	gfxpayload=1024x768
      	linux /vmlinuz root=UUID=e5ab8bdc-50cc-4fbe-aecd-7a52fb024301 ro splash
      	initrd /initrd.img
      }
      As you can see, its a far cry from you grub.cfg. I removed all of the extraneous information. If I have need to add new distros, I simple do it by hand, or I could run grub-mkconfig to obtain the UUID and copy paste to my grub.cfg. I find 'sudo blkid' is easier.

In fact issue the command 'sudo grub-mkconfig' and compare it to mine. See which one you like.

BTW- the symbolic links I was talking about can be found in you root directory. You should have four links. The newest kernel links and the previous kernel links
      "/vmlinuz" , "/initrd.img" and "/vmlinuz.old" , "/initrd.img.old" You can right-click on them to see where they point too. You can see the symbolic links above in my grub.cfg file.

A final thought. Grub is used boot my machine. I barely see it. It's main reason for existence is to, well, boot your computer(There are other diagnostic reasons, but rarely needed) I have no fancy theming installed. The only reason I use the blue & white, it makes it easy to read.
      Boot Info Script

Comment

@verndog
        Yes, you can do that when you understand the limitations/dangers of editing grub.cfg manually.

For less experienced users, I only wish to emphasize that manually editing grub.cfg sort of defeats the purpose of the automagics that try to make sure you always have a working grub configuration and a bootable machine.

@Jroberts
        1. The easiest way to remove "old" kernel entries is to remove the corresponding kernel image packages (2.6.31-14) with your chosen package manager as vinnywright mentioned (of course, other than used disk space, having two different kernel images installed has no drawbacks and can be a useful "back-up")

2. If you wish to remove the memtest entries from grub, you can make /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ non-executable and run update-grub:
        Code:
        sudo chmod -x /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ && sudo update-grub
        3. You can remove the recovery mode option by editing /etc/default/grub file and uncomment the corresponding line as instructed in the file...you need to run 'sudo update-grub' after changing it. (recovery mode is often useful, but can be accessed by manually editing boot options when needed...so it doesn't need to be in the boot menu if you don't want it shown)

Comment

Now for the way I do it. I edit "/boot/grub/grub.cfg" directly and don't have to mess with all those scripts. Yes I know, the first statement is DO NOE EDIT THIS FILE. For me that's an invitation.

Also the purest will tell you that from time to time grub-update will be issued when new kernels arrive and various other times.

I have my own copy of grub.cfg in my home dir that I overwrite it back to my way.

If you use symbolic links then the newest kernel will be used.
          The other thing you could do, is put the entries you have in your modified grub.cfg into the /etc/grub.d/40_custom file, and mark the 10_linux, 20_memtest86+ and 30_os-prober files non-executable. That way you will end up with a very short boot menu, that will boot the latest kernels through the symbolic links, and it will keep doing that any time update_grub runs. Just beware of messages during upgrading that threaten to replace your configuration files with the packaged versions.
          We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Thank you sooo much you guys for all the quick answers, i decided to manually change grub... because it sounds more fun actually, but thank you for all the answers!!
            Good to know of a forum that actually gets things done!
            kisses Jenny

Comment

Heey one more question, i edited my grub 2 file, but i can't save it!
              I tried to run
              sudo chmod +w /boot/grub/grub.cfg
              gksudo gedit /boot/grub/grub.cfg
              but nothing happend... So how do i save the edited file?
              thanks! Jenny

Comment

try sudo chmod a+w grub.cfg

Also you may want to use kdesudo rather than gksudo. Although gedit is a gtk program, I think kdesudo is better integrated with kde.

Worked here, anyway.
                We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

i decided to manually change grub... because it sounds more fun actually
                  I won't stop you then. :P
                  your machine, your call

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
                  try sudo chmod a+w grub.cfg
                  These steps are unnecessary...and you shouldn't make the file world-writable, even if you chose to edit it manually, I'd suggest reverting back:
                  Code:
                  sudo chmod -w /boot/grub/grub.cfg
                  gksudo and gedit are gnome programs, and aren't installed on kubuntu because it uses kde.
                  The "corresponding" kde command is
                  Code:
                  kdesudo kate /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Comment

Heey one more question, i edited my grub 2 file, but i can't save it!
                    I tried to run
                    but nothing happend... So how do i save the edited file?
                    thanks! Jenny
                    Here's how I do it. I have a file called 'cc', I execute in my home dir that is simply run from terminal (./cc). It then ask for sudo password. it first copies the update-grub grub.cfg to my home file and then write my grub.cfg to /boot/grub/grub.cfg

My grub.cfg file is g.cfg that I can edit at will and make any changes.
                    cc file :
                    echo save grub.cfg. Copy g.cfg to /boot/grub/grub.cfg
                    sudo mv /boot/grub/grub.cfg . && sudo cp g.cfg /boot/grub/grub.cfg
                    Boot Info Script

Comment

@JRoberts
                      Yoda: Ready are you? What know you of ready? For eight hundred years have I trained Jedi. My own counsel will I keep on who is to be trained. A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things. You are reckless.
                      Take it from Yoda. Learn patience. Readand understand before acting. If in doubt, ask questions. There are many experienced members here in KFN, willing and able to help a 'jedi apprentice' develop the skills necessary to use Linux/Kubuntu effectively.
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

IT WORKED! hahahaha i didn't screw up or anything! uhuuul! Anyway thanks you guys!
                        And Yoda dude, I get the hole be patient thing but i learned that the best way of learning is trying, i love to read and don't mind studying the subject first but really what is the worst it can happen? If i loose everything i'll just reinstall my os, i have all the important stuff on a external hd so, i might as well try to do things the fun way right?
                        thanks for all the help and advise though!
                        kisses Jenny

Comment

Ah, the boundless enthusiasm of youth! Well, you are correct - doing and observing is a good way to learn. And you are correct: if the worst happens, you can always just reinstall. That you have your important stuff on a separate HD means you have 'planned ahead' and that shows foresight - good.

Enjoy your adventures. We are here to assist when needed. Welcome to Linux, Kubuntu, and KFN.
                          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                          X