Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing, compiling, whatever you call it.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing, compiling, whatever you call it.

so ive been using Kubuntu for a while now (almost a year) but i cant get the whole installing thing down yet.
    I downloaded nexuiz 252 from their website
    yes i did check the repositories and they had a way old version.

the thing this file is a zip file. no make file no configuring. i have spent a million hours trying to learn compiling and all but what am i supposed to do with this file?

ls gives me this:
    Code:
    data      libmodplug-0.dll   nexuiz.exe         nexuiz-linux-sdl.sh      Nexuiz-SDL.app server     zlib1.dll
    Docs      libpng12.dll     nexuiz-linux-686-dedicated nexuiz-linux-x86_64-dedicated nexuiz-sdl.exe sources
    gpl.txt    libtheora.dll     nexuiz-linux-686-glx    nexuiz-linux-x86_64-glx    ogg.dll     vorbis.dll
    libcurl-4.dll Nexuiz.app      nexuiz-linux-686-sdl    nexuiz-linux-x86_64-sdl    readme.html   vorbisenc.dll
    libjpeg.dll  nexuiz-dedicated.exe nexuiz-linux-glx.sh     nexuiz-osx-dedicated      SDL.dll     vorbisfile.dll
    can you smell my noobness?

Re: Installing, compiling, whatever you call it.

You do nothing with it. The nexuiz 252 file you downloaded is for Windoze, not for Linux. The dead giveaway are the listed contents that show .exe and .dll files.

Added: Okay, maybe to hasty in my comment. Visted Nexuiz website. The .zip file you downloaded apparently contains the installation files for either Windoze or Linux. At a minimum, open the readme.html file, which I'm certain will contain the instructions for installing. But, as vinnywright pointed out, nexuiz 2.5.2 is in the repositories for installation via your package manager of from the CLI using sudo apt-get install nexuiz
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

what ver. of kubuntu are you runing?

I'm on Karmic and synaptic is showing me nexuiz ver 2.5.2 witch looks to be the new one ?

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I use jaunty and on synaptic i find v 2.4.2 only.

repo problems?

Comment

No. vinnywright and I are running Karmic. Likely that 2.4.2 is the latest version available in Jaunty. Just because you find a 'newer' version out on the 'Net, does not mean that you can use it in the version of Kubuntu you are running. Attempting to do so can/does cause problems. That's why you should always install from the packages that the repositories you have activated in your version of Kubuntu show you.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I've always used the version from the Nexuiz web site. All you do is unzip the contents to where ever you want it. In the "Nexuiz-252" directory there are several files to start Nexuiz for Linux. They are "nexuiz-linux-glx.sh" and "nexuiz-linux-sdl.sh". I use the latter as it works best with Desktop Effects if you have that. I have never had issues running Nexuiz from their web site on any version of Linux I've ever used. If I remember correctly, you do have to set those files to be executable by right clicking on which ever file and going to Properties. Once there, go to the Permissions TAB. Click on the IS EXECUTABLE box to check it. Click OK.

Comment

Working...
            X