This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live CD, isntalling flash player and enabling sound

Hi. I am currently running a Kubuntu distribution from a live cd as the hard drive in my laptop is not working. I wanted to ask if it is possible to install and run flash player when running the OS from a live cd and if yes how can this be done. I have tried to download and install but even though i seemed to have been successful i still cant watch or do anything on the Internet that requires flash player. Also for some reason i cant listen to any music so it seems that the OS does not recognize my sound card as it is the case with most Linux distributions ive tried. Is it possible to somehow enable sound? As the internal hard drive is broken i would have to download and install anything on an external hard drive and im not sure if that would work,
    thanks for any replies

Re: Live CD, isntalling flash player and enabling sound

for sound try clicking the little speeker icon it the system tray click mixer click settings click configure chanels now check them all and click ok and look to see if eney are muted and move the sliders up..... espeshaley master and PCM.

if you dont see a speeker in the system tray press Alt+F2 and type kmix in the box that will pop up.

for flash open a terminal and type

Code:
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
    and it should install ......if thares a licence agrement to acsept (cant remember) use the tab key to highlight the exept button and press enter.

runing live you should be abel to do this IF you have enuff RAM as every thing you do will be runing and storing in RAM .... AND lost on a reboot...........so unless saved to an external drive/USB NO DL'ing large files........

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright
      for sound try clicking the little speeker icon it the system tray click mixer click settings click configure chanels now check them all and click ok and look to see if eney are muted and move the sliders up..... espeshaley master and PCM.

if you dont see a speeker in the system tray press Alt+F2 and type kmix in the box that will pop up.

for flash open a terminal and type

Code:
      sudo apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
      and it should install ......if thares a licence agrement to acsept (cant remember) use the tab key to highlight the exept button and press enter.

runing live you should be abel to do this IF you have enuff RAM as every thing you do will be runing and storing in RAM .... AND lost on a reboot...........so unless saved to an external drive/USB NO DL'ing large files........

VINNY
      hi thanks for the reply...havent tested the sound thing yet since amarok refuses to play anything and i also tried to isntall the flash player but it jsut told me that it could find package flashplugin-nonfree

Comment

for flashplayer-nonfree you will have to first add the medibuntu repo.

then sudo apt-get update then install as vinny said as for amarok, you will need to install the mp3 libarys for the os to read MP3's ...

the "simple" install method would be to do sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras (although it will pull more then your going to use in a live session... but it will get java / flash and mp3 working.)
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

i have exactly the same problem as with the previous method...when i type the command into the console i get
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree
          Reading state information... Done
          E: Couldn't find package kubuntu-restricted-extras

Comment

go to K>sysemsettings>add and remove software. Kpackagekit will open click setings and then eddit software sources.

make shure the box for (multiverse) is checked.....O heck check em all.

then close the eddit software sources box and click apply.

now close that thing and do the comand agin.
            after doing........O heck just do this.

Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras
            VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Guys, you missed the crucial initial statement by the OP:
              I am currently running a Kubuntu distribution from a live cd as the hard drive in my laptop is not working.
              Two things: 1) Running from the LiveCD, one is running completely off of the CD and from RAM. 2) While one could active the the other repositories (and uncheck the CD repository), the update of the package cache would have to take place in RAM. Downloading the actual packages, which also would have to take place in RAM, is more problematic, and likely would fail. If it did work, once the session was shutdown and the PC turned off, well you get the picture. And this all is predicated on a working Internet connection while running from the LiveCD, and the OP didn't tell us if that worked or not.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Success!!
                Thank you very much guys, editing the software sources and running sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras command flash was installed and is now working as well as sound. I appreciate your help a lot since i was getting sick of being able to only read on my computer and there was no video or sound. So again thanks a lot. I suppose ill have to go through this process every time i restart the computer but thats small price to pay so again thank you.

Comment

Great! I'm glad I turned out to be wrong - it's been known to happen.
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by hakuka
                    Success!!
                    Thank you very much guys, editing the software sources and running sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras command flash was installed and is now working as well as sound. I appreciate your help a lot since i was getting sick of being able to only read on my computer and there was no video or sound. So again thanks a lot. I suppose ill have to go through this process every time i restart the computer but thats small price to pay so again thank you.
                    your welcome

and as I sead in my first reply ..............
                    runing live you should be abel to do this IF you have enuff RAM as every thing you do will be runing and storing in RAM .... AND lost on a reboot...........so unless saved to an external drive/USB NO DL'ing large files........ Roll Eyes
                    so I gess you had enuff

and yes you will half to redo every reboot............SO you may want to make a liveUSB (if your box will boot a USB) that will do persistent wright back ..(save changes to the USB) untill you can get a HD.

VINNY
                    16GB RAM

Comment

yea i have 4 gigs so i think its quite enough..well i dont have a usb key at the moment but i wonder if it would work with my mp3 player as it acts as a plug-in device even in kubuntu or maybe with the external hard drive...well im not gonna bother wiht it too much the dell person should come this week and fix it for me so i can finally go back to using the pc normally

Comment

just remember since you are running the live cd you will have to do this every time you boot the machine...
                        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
                        X