This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello, and 2 questions/issues

Hello all. I've been up and running Kubuntu for a few days now. Seems to be working really well. I posted my story over on the ubuntu forums. Here's a link: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1383182

Anyways. I have 2 known issues. The first one is this. At startup, I get an "Information - KdeSudu" window that pops up. All there is, is an "OK" box to click. The windows says the following:
    No command arguments supplied!
    Usage: kdesudo [-u <runas>] <command>
    KdeSudo will now exit...

Any ideas what that's all about?

The second issue is, when going into system settings, desktop effects, I was trying out all the little features. I tried checking the "Enable Desktop Effect" box, but when I go to apply the settings, I get this error:

Failed to activate desktop effects using the given configuration options. Settings will be reverted to their previous values.
    Check your X configuration. You may also consider changing advanced options, especially changing the compositing type.

Any ideas on this one either?

Thanks in advance. Here's a screenshot of the errors.

Re: Hello, and 2 questions/issues

First, Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux/Kubuntu and KFN.

As to your first issue. It isn't a problem, rather an annoyance. See kubicle's reply to Re: kdesudo errors on login?

As to your second issue. That is almost guaranteed to be a GPU issue. What are the specs on your PC? Desktop or laptop? Manufacture and model? What Graphics card/controller?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the response. This is an older PC. It's a VPR Matrix (old Best Buy brand). It has 1 gig of ram, a 2.54 ghz Pentium 4 processor, and a 250 gb hard drive. I'm not sure of the graphics card. I could look it up in windows, but being a newbie, I just looked and couldn't figure out how to see a list of hardware and their stats. What's the best way to manage installed hardware?

Comment

You can determine the graphics card/controller by opening a console and typing:
        Code:
        lspci | grep Graphics

Comment

Code:
          lspci|grep graphics
          May not work for you. In the case of my computer the video controller line says
          VGA compatible controller: ....
          no word "graphics" but your "lspci" output will be short enough for you to determine your display controller without piping the output to the "grep" command.

That said, I suspect that while you will need to install the appropriate proprietary hardware driver for your video controller, you may not need to work very hard to do so. If you are using either Nvidia or ATI hardware just install the package "envyng-qt", if you are using Kubuntu.

Comment

Well, I think I got this resolved. What I did was went to Applications/System/Hardware Drivers. Once I clicked on that, it told me there was no proprietary driver on my NVIDIA graphics card. It gave me a "recommended" one, installed it, rebooted, and now I can Enable Desktop Effects.

Comment

Don't you just love a system that can 'fix' itself, once you know where to go?

Comment

Working...
              X