This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu on Virtualbox

I had Kubuntu 9.10 installed on Virtualbox on my PC with Window 7 as host. It worked fine for a week until I tried to access my files on Windows..... I am a newbie to Linux and Virtualbox ops: I used the command:

mount -t vboxsrv NAME of folder /home

Then I got an error message saying that only root could do this. Then I wrote the same only with sudo in front of it (I had seen this in an YouTube video) and entered my password. After this youtube looked very strange..... I tried to log out and marked "restore snapshot". When I tried to log on to Virtualbox again, I got an error message saying that there was a critical error

I have tried to make a new Kubuntu guest, uninstalled and deleted Virtualbox, the ISO files and starting all over, but I get the same error when I have finished the installation and try to log on....

Can someone please help me? I really want to try out Kubuntu Thanks.

Re: Kubuntu on Virtualbox

what error do you get?

Originally posted by Newbie
    I had Kubuntu 9.10 installed on Virtualbox on my PC with Window 7 as host. It worked fine for a week until I tried to access my files on Windows..... I am a newbie to Linux and Virtualbox ops: I used the command:
    mount -t vboxsrv NAME of folder /home
    its bad practice to use the /home folder as a mount point (unless your mounting a /home folder), all user settings are in /home/usrname....
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Bad move mounting to /home.

I have a VirtualBox VM with Kubuntu running on my mac. I use shared folders all the time to move files between my Mac and Kubuntu. I mount the shared folder from /etc/rc.local using the following command:

mount -t vboxsf -o uid=1000,gid=1000 macosx /home/<username>/Shared

Don't copy my command, read the VirtualBox manual. I create a Shared folder under my personal home directory and mount it there. Never mount anything to /home or /home/<username> unless you really understand what you are doing.

Cheers, UK

linux &amp;&amp; bash = &quot;the future&quot;

Comment

Yeah, I know it was a bad move I admit that I am a total newbie (see my name

I tried to read the manual, but did not understand it all well......

Well the error message I get is:

"A critical error has occured while running the virtual machine and the execution has been stopped.

For help please see the community section on virtualbox.org or your support contract. Please provide the contents of the log file vbox.log and the image file vbox.png which you can find in the c:\users...... directory, as well as a description of what you were doing when this error happend. Note that you can also access the above files by selecting show log from the machine menu of the main virtualbox window.

Press ok if you want to power off the machine or press ignore if you want to leave it as is for debugging. Please note that debugging requires special knowledge and tools, so it is recommended to press ok now."

Unfortunately I don't know how to show you the contents of the files mentioned.....
        Thanks for trying to help me

Comment

You installed Virtualbox 'within' Windows 7. Given what you did, and the damage that resulted, it may well be easier (and faster) to just uninstall Virtualbox, which will also remove the Guest VM, and start over.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have already tried to uninstall Virtualbox, delete the ISO files and start all over..... but still I get the same error message.....

Comment

be sure that you have also deleted any vm hard drives it created (they seam to stick around on my machine..)
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

What Windows folder were you trying to mount in the VM? I don't run Windows in any form so I'm not much help with a Windows 7 issue. It sounds like something is corrupted in your Windows environment or the removal left something lying around. Your best bet is the VirtualBox forums. They might be able to help. I don't think this is a Linux issue. Also vboxsrv is not the correct file system type when mounting in Linux. That's what you use when mounting shared folders in Windows. It's vboxsf when mounting in Linux.
                linux &amp;&amp; bash = &quot;the future&quot;

Comment

Thanks for trying to help me!

I found out what was wrong..... I had to set the RAM for the guest to 2048 and now it works

Snowhog: what do you mean by "you installed Virtualbox "within" Windows? Just out of curiosity

Now I just need to find out how to use shared folders

Comment

Now I just need to find out how to use shared folders
                    Read the fine manual and follow the instructions in it. It isn't hard at all and everything is explained plainly enough IMHO. If you have problems at a specific step then please cite the section of the manual you are working from and explain in detail exactly how far you've gotten. Be sure to include any error messages in your post.
                    Welcome newbies!
                    Verify the ISO
                    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Snowhog: what do you mean by "you installed Virtualbox "within" Windows? Just out of curiosity
                      That Windows is the Host and VB was installed as an application in same. So, technically, you would only have had to delete the VM you created - the Guest OS - and then uninstall VB, and then start 'fresh.' Glad that you got the issue resolved without having to go through that.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Oh ok. Well I already did that (deleted the guest OS and uninstalled VB, even deleted the ISO and downloaded it again (see my post just after yours on 17th of January . However, because I still chose more than 2048 RAM for the guest OS (I have 6 RAM total) I got the same error again..... But I am so glad that I found out what to do so I can try out Kubuntu as it seems to be a really nice OS

I will now try to get to learn it a little and then I might want to make a dual boot installation. However, I am a little scared to do that, because I have read that the desktop edition may cause problems if you have a computer with a recovery partition like I do. ( I have a HP computer).

Comment

Working...
                        X