This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firewall

I just installed Kubuntu 9.10 on my work laptop. I am going to use it as a dual boot with windows. I can get the browser working fine but the terminal or Konsole won't access the net. I have to use a proxy to get the browser working. Is there any way I can set this up with the terminal?

Re: Firewall

I don't understand what you are asking.

If you have an Internet connection and open a Konsole you can use utilities like "whois", "ping", "ssh", "apt-get", :wget", etc..., to interact with servers on the Internet.

This URL includes a list of terminal or konsole commands you can use to access networks ... see the topics: rsync, wget, ssh, networking and anything else that might interest you.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

The browser is for browsing - the Internet (and local system too). You say that works. Great. The console/terminal is for working from the CLI (command line), also (generally) on your local system. If you are referring to using say, telnet, ftp and the like 'from the console,' those utilities are available, but also as GUI apps, thus, avoiding the need to use such utilities from the CLI.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My company bans some sites (like youtube) and other things. I can get to google etc. through Konquerer. When I got to Konsole and type

sudo apt-get update

I enter my password and then I get a lot of messages like this:

Err http://security.ubuntu.com karmic-security/main Translation-en_US
        Could not resolve 'security.ubuntu.com'

I am running Kubuntu with Wubi inside Windows XP because I didn't want to mess up the hd on my work laptop.

Comment

K -> System Settings -> Network Settings -> Proxy

Comment

Working...
          X