Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please delete: no longer on topic thanks!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After new install can't write to SATA drive still. oops?(title edited)

Hi guys. I'm still playing with this. after I post this, going to sleep and will pray for an update/advice from someone. lol.

so my little 20 gig died. literally. kept making this ping-weeeeeeeooooop noise whenever I'd try to change from app to app or open a folder or...or...or...you get the idea. it just went whiz pop an that was it. I'm unsure of its age as windoze-guy put it in here. :P

so a bios change, a jumper change, an ide cable move and an unplug of the whiz-popper, plus a fresh new install of the KK into the system. The install disk, couldn't see the Sata drive so I installed it to the 160. Updates are done. Extras are done. I am happy. This thing does more crap then it ever did on expee. It does however boot up really really slow. I think I saw a post in here somewhere about the boot timeout settings. I think I'll let it be for now. When its booting, I can get my first cup of coffee anyways lol.

I installed Gparted. I ran it to format the sata drive. heres my "fdisk -l" results:

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80000000000 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9726 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x08040804

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 4 9726 78099997+ 83 Linux
    /dev/sda3 1 3 24066 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Partition table entries are not in disk order

Disk /dev/sdb: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x50525051

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 * 1 18705 150247881 83 Linux
    /dev/sdb2 18706 19457 6040440 5 Extended
    /dev/sdb5 18706 19457 6040408+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

So sda is the sata, and sdb is the standard ide drive. And sadly, try as I might, I can't seem to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I've tried going into "fstab". I get a batch of error messages
    saying things are owned by by uid 1000 instead of uid 0. items like /tmp/kde-myname and /tmp/ksocket-myname. Kate does open and then I get this, which doesn't look quite right for some reason:

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
    #
    # Use 'blkid -o value -s UUID' to print the universally unique identifier
    # for a device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name
    # devices that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
    #
    # <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
    proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
    # / was on /dev/sdb1 during installation
    UUID=627f7b24-0369-41e6-901d-ff4a2b5cec54 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
    # swap was on /dev/sdb5 during installation
    UUID=097525b8-468d-4068-825a-9b54a6a48ed0 none swap sw 0 0
    /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 0

Do I just use the resulting UUID information for the sda drives and edit fstab to match for the sdb drives?

/dev/sda1: LABEL="Storage" UUID="424bddaf-0c61-4c30-ac58-40272fc20296" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sda3: UUID="f917ba33-3bc7-4ab7-bfc5-e27f845bbd2f" TYPE="swap"
    /dev/sdb1: UUID="627f7b24-0369-41e6-901d-ff4a2b5cec54" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sdb5: UUID="097525b8-468d-4068-825a-9b54a6a48ed0" TYPE="swap"

something tells me I boo-boo'd somewhere. maybe. possibly. so before I "experiment" again I want to consult those that know better then I. Let me know if I should post the error results.

feel free to shake your heads...I am. Its still running!!
    I was here, for a time then gone...Learned the hard way where I&#39;d done wrong...Now I&#39;m back, like what I see...Time will tell where Linux takes me.

Comment

Re: LiveCD help...can't find sata drive to install to it (title edited)

Life can get a bit challenging with a mix of IDE & SATA hard drives. I remember spending a full day with my first Kubuntu 6.06 Live CD, proving beyond all doubt that it would NEVER install to a SATA drive as long as I left the IDE drive connected to the motherboard.

Some of this problem is hardware (BIOS and mobo interface) specific, but it is a known challenge. Depending on what you want to happen, I would encourage you first to explore the "modes" for the IDE channel, in BIOS. There should be a couple of them. Same for the SATA channel, although it looks like you've got that one nailed, so maybe best to leave it alone. You'll get a better, and more automatic, result if you install on a system for which both drives are recognized as present, by the installer. On the other hand, I have been known to pull the IDE connector for an installation on a SATA drive, and then to edit /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/menu.lst to fix it later. It looks like you have edited fstab but not menu.lst. However, there are other problems there.

I'm not sure what went wrong but the "UID" error indicates that something that root (UID 0) should own has user permissions attached. /tmp files are all owned by root, and are dynamic -- they are created at boot time and do not survive a shutdown.

Since you've presumably not created data or custom settings on that system, I would advise a reinstallation, after you give your best shot to setting the BIOS IDE channel so that the Live CD sees both drives. If that won't work, then it should be possible to fiddle your existing installation into compliant behavior. Yes, you have the right idea on fstab setup. And /boot/grub/menu.lst has to match as well.

Edit: whoops, I forgot about the possibility that you are booting with Grub 2. In that case, disregard my reference to /boot/grub/menu.lst and see this guide for revising the boot menu:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106368.0

Comment

You should get rid of one of these swap partitions.
        Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog
          You should get rid of one of these swap partitions.
          ok, but why? And which one? I must have misunderstood some of the posts I've read. Like most that are starting out and trying to learn, I think a lot of the info I've been going through is all starting to bleed into one mess. Its hard to keep things straight. Pretty sure I'm going to have to start taking notes. lol I just thought that all drives had to have a swap partition.

ok well, in response to dibl's mode inquiry in my BIOS settings, heres what I've dug up:

the IDE drive Primary is Auto
          Access is Auto
          PIO is Auto
          UDMA is Auto
          Transfer Mode is Auto

The Sata Drive or "Extended IDE" is Auto
          Access is Large
          I was here, for a time then gone...Learned the hard way where I&#39;d done wrong...Now I&#39;m back, like what I see...Time will tell where Linux takes me.

Comment

Only one swap partition is needed for the system. Pick one -- it doesn't matter which. But you only need one.

Originally posted by DWP

the IDE drive Primary is Auto
            Access is Auto
            PIO is Auto
            UDMA is Auto
            Transfer Mode is Auto
            "Auto" is not helping you. Look especially at PIO and UDMA. What are your options?

Comment

ok, on PIO my options are Auto, and then performance levels 0-4.

the UDMA is either Auto or Disabled

and I'm gonna remove the swap on the sata.

back in a few...Canucks game is on. lol

Comment

ok...so with some browsing, I came to the conclusion that perhaps I'd accidently poofed something. So I did a fresh install. right after that I did updates. Then I did an fstab -l in konsole. and got the usual list. But...Im curious on the first line:

/dev/sda1 * 1 9726 78124063+ 83 Linux

this is my SATA drive. Which the installer does not find. Its mounted under media/storage. But I don't have permission to write to it.

I searched and found a command of chmod, I remember this command from years ago. But I don't recall the proper syntax to use it.

Its not a huge issue to get that drive going atm. But that wonky boot is. I'm going to unplug the SATA from the board and reboot. wish me luck.

Comment

So theres a fine line between between stubborn and dedicated I've discovered. I'm treading on it now actually :P. My wife prefers to call it OCD. Anyways, I decided to try the SATA drive for an independant install. Its missing its root filesystem according to the installer. So there I'm kinda stumped. Going to search that an see where it gets me.

So Mods, I think this thread is more or less useless, as its gone totally off topic and I've changed the parameters of my inquiry at least a couple times. Feel free to delete it if you feel it no longer holds pertinent value

cheers everyone.

Comment

Working...
                  X