Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please delete: no longer on topic thanks!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please delete: no longer on topic thanks!

After a 3 yr hiatus from Kubuntu, I have returned. Won't get into the story, its not worth it lol. But heres my inquiry into KK's liveCD.

I popped it in, checked its quality and it was all good. Did the live install. Like the new look. Took some poking and experimenting to setup my wireless. Found the mozilla installer in K-menu and shouted "hell ya!" got that up and running...I is happy campur :P. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Konquerer, but I've been on Mozilla for years, I just prefer it.

The install found all 3 drives ( I don't have to "mount" them anymore?) and the usb drive. I moved a few files around to experiment and went back to windoze..yep they're there. Awesome!

Now for a sound check. Go to the media drive (usb) select a file, and Amarok pops up. nothing happens. I try adding media, nothing. dragging the file over, nothing. it wouldn't even indicate there was a song to play. I'm assuming a codec issue?

ok, check kmix, the usual channels are open, but I didn't open them all. that may have been my problem. I also went into the system settings (eerily looking like windoze in here :P) and checked the sound card. I get the startup song on both my soundblaster 5.1 and the default card.

tried video next. dragon player? ok...lets give'r a shot. the video screen shows the name of the file an then starts the playback at ludicris speed. the timer just shows the file in 10-15 min increments. no video or sound, just a black screen.

So I thought to myself, maybe I can try another media player. I go to the package handler/manager in the K-menu and get the list, I see Kaffiene and remembered using it off an on before. Got it loaded and still nothing.

I'm just wondering if its due to my "trying" things on a live cd that I couldn't get these things to work? Or do I have to go through all the repository downloads etc etc.?

I kind of expected it, having had the experience before. sorry for the word-i-ness of the post, I prefer to give as much detail as I can.

cheers everyone.
    its nice to be back.

p.s. I'm still gonna install the O/S. this xpee is driving me banana's
    I was here, for a time then gone...Learned the hard way where I'd done wrong...Now I'm back, like what I see...Time will tell where Linux takes me.

Re: LiveCD help...mp3 and video playback

Well dont worey about the wordeness as you maay remember from years ago the more you can explane the beter you can be helped.............LOL

I beleve all your problems are codec isues as (most)linux distos for vareus legal resons dont ship with all the codecs we (you and me) realey want and nead. SO hear's the goodey's for ya.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

When you install you need to add the Medibuntu Repository. Playing MP3s and encoded DVDs are "restricted packages"

As the Medibuntu page says "Medibuntu (Multimedia, Entertainment & Distractions In Ubuntu) is a repository of packages that cannot be included into the Ubuntu distribution for legal reasons (copyright, license, patent, etc)." ... https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

To watch encoded DVDs you need the package libdvdcss2
      "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
      "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

ahh great! thanks very much to the both of you. I'll post my success/failure's in a day or so. Time is a limited thing in my home lol
        I was here, for a time then gone...Learned the hard way where I'd done wrong...Now I'm back, like what I see...Time will tell where Linux takes me.

Comment

Re: LiveCD help...can't find sata drive to install to it (title edited)

So earlier, I thought I was in the clear for my install to smote M$...however, I'm thwarted but only temporarily I hope...

The so-called "friend" that led me astray some 3 years ago assembled this tower for me. It has 3 drives. 1 is in here as a SATA and then I've 2 other drives which I can only presume are in as IDE. Please forgive me as on hardware, I'm not that savvy on the terminology.

When I run the installer, it only sees the 2 IDE drives, one of which is my M$ media only drive, 160 gigs of movies, music etc etc. and a 20 gig "ghost" backup image drive. The friend assured me this ghost unit was in case I suffered a system crash. It never happened, but thats not the point.

The installer says it needs 17 gigs of space to install to, that doesn't seem to be a lot of space for extra packages. The Sata drive is a 75gig. I just want room for expansion.

As I mentioned in the O.P., with the live demo running, it does see the SATA drive, it calls it "system". But with it being live, I was unable to delete anything or format it with the limited knowledge I have.

**On hold til I get some solid advice**

Comment

So you installed Karmic Koala 9.10 (your first post). I'm assuming that you have a working Internet connection running KK. Let's start with some basic 'information reporting.' Open a console (terminal). Easiest way is to press Alt+F2 and type:
            Code:
            konsole
            Then type:
            Code:
            fdisk -l
            (lower case L here)
            Copy/paste the output into your reply. This will tell us about your HDs, partitioning, and filesystem type on each.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

sorry SH, when I said "live install" I meant I was only running the disk in my dvd drive. I haven't actually installed anything to a hard drive as of yet.

I did do the as you asked, but it only spits out:
              ubuntu@ubuntu:

shall I jam KK into the 20 gig and then get back to you?

I've no quams about trying things to get this right. I'm but a humble padawan learner in this

Comment

My advise is not to rush into this. Take your time and gather the information you will need, and the resources that will aid you in a preparing and installing Kubuntu.

First, if you don't have it already, get and burn (also as a LiveCD) Gparted (version 4.8-6 this link - documentation here) This LiveCD allows you to setup the HD where you want to install Kubuntu to. This is highly recommended. You can read up on preparing for installing *buntu at Psychocats - Ubuntu Linux Resources

Comment

Thanks SH. I recall cats' from my earlier stint with Edgy I think it was...very helpful. It will take some time to purge this M$ nonsense from my skull. sighs. what does not kill me, makes me stronger

Comment

ok...an update of sorts....bear with me. For references: my SATA drive is /dev/sda1, my ghost (backup xp system) drive is /dev/hdb1 and the media drive is /dev/hda1.

1. I burned and ran a copy of Gparted on livecd. I got to the Grub GUI, but didn't really follow what to do next. Clicking on the konsole got nothing in response, nor did trying any of the other desktop icons, as in nothing opened...at all.

2. Recorded the labels of the drives, as mentioned above.

3. With a few boots, getting in my BIOS settings, switching around which drives I wanted to boot first. and then manually moving the jumpers for my IDE drives for Master and Slave options, I'm able to boot to the /dev/hdb1 drive that now has KK on it. however, there isn't really a lot of room. The system has been running stable, but doesn't like multi-tasking. It suffers from intermittent lockup with 2 or 3 things going at once.

4. BUT! with links provided by the the previous posters, I've got the MP3 capability, the video codecs, and a pile of updates installed. And I've learned that Grub is a very confusing thing to read about. Admittedly, I've always had a bit of a slow curve with new stuff, (it took me til last year to buy my 1st Ipod :P) but the language-speak of the commands and what/why things are is kind of overwhelming.

I've been reading Qqmike's guide to Grub2. Tons of information. it's going to take a while to figure out from it what pertains to me. From what I've read, ideally I should go back to the Grub livecd, format the /dev/sda1 with a partition for FAT32, even though details of the drive tells me its NTFS. But I only need that one section as FAT32 just for Grub. right?

I'm fully aware of the "loss of data" warnings and thats ok. I've got all my media backed up on a usb drive. my bookmarks are sitting on a usb key as an html file. from there I'm good. I just want M$ out and my 240gigs of usable space to be at my beck and call.

Now, just for giggles, I went into Dolphin and Root is where KK is. It also claims there to be 14.5 gigs of useable space.

Now I'm rethinking the move of the KK to /dev/sda1.

I'll do some more digging with search and see if I can get answers to that. It may be this drive is really old an thats its near the end of its lifespan.

But I'd still like to get this Grub thing figured out....back in a day or 2 I hope....cheers folks

Comment

Originally posted by DWP

I did do the as you asked, but it only spits out:
                      ubuntu@ubuntu:
                      The reason for no output is you need root access. Use this:

Code:
                      sudo fdisk -l
                      and
                      Code:
                      sudo blkid
                      So we can see all your drives and UUID names.
                      Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by DWP

what does not kill me, makes me stronger
                        Yeah, what I been sayin' !

The GParted Live CD, or the Parted Magic Live CD are very useful for these endeavors. Also, your SATA bus has modes that you can set in BIOS. Depending on whether you are installing Linux or M$ product, it might need to be set to "Legacy IDE", instead of "AHCI". M$ products need the "boot" flag set on the root partition of the target drive, Linux doesn't seem to care about that.

Comment

When I get home from work, I'll do those 2 konsole commands. Then I shall poke BIOS with a stick. We'll see what new bruises it develops when I'm done.

the response to ( sudo fdisk -l ):

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80000000000 bytes
                          255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9726 cylinders
                          Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
                          Disk identifier: 0x08040804

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
                          /dev/sda1 * 1 9725 78116031 7 HPFS/NTFS

Disk /dev/sdb: 20.5 GB, 20520493056 bytes
                          255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2494 cylinders
                          Disk identifier: 0x201b201a

/dev/sdb1 * 1 2384 19149448+ 83 Linux
                          /dev/sdb2 2385 2494 883575 5 Extended
                          /dev/sdb5 2385 2494 883543+ 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdc: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
                          255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders
                          Disk identifier: 0x50525051

/dev/sdc1 * 1 19456 156280288+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

response to ( sudo blkid ):

/dev/sda1: UUID="804C177E4C176E62" LABEL="System" TYPE="ntfs"
                          /dev/sdb1: UUID="b478ec2e-625a-4536-ac73-b726c31cd3ec" TYPE="ext4"
                          /dev/sdb5: UUID="e04e2747-ff49-4e8d-8b85-b4e6558475d4" TYPE="swap"
                          /dev/sdc1: UUID="E0840F68840F4110" LABEL="Mike" TYPE="ntfs"

Now I'm not sure but this seems to be conflicting no? :

these 2 both start an stop at the same time. Shouldn't they be one after the other?

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeee we're learning!!!.....I think

Comment

ok, so heres something new, whether it is of any relevance, please let me know.

Once I'd finished in BIOS and let it continue to boot, it went thru the GRUB loader, then gave me options of the Kernel to run. I selected the newest one and let it go.

The something new was.....No wireless indicator, no klipper and no startup sound. But I was able to get in and do the previous post edits after manually kickstarting my internet connection.

I have since rebooted the machine, started it on the 2nd newest kernel (sorry I didnt write either # down) and boom! everything popped on nicely.

So now I'm thoroughly intrigued and confused.

I refuse to get upset about it, its all in the learning process right?

Comment

Originally posted by DWP
                              Now I'm not sure but this seems to be conflicting no? :

these 2 both start an stop at the same time. Shouldn't they be one after the other?
                              No. The first entry is the extended partition. All other 'logical' partitions are installed inside of the extended partition. Think of the extended partition as a container (which it actually is) that other partitions get put into.

Yes, you are learning.

Comment

Working...
                              X