This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issue with GRUB after Install Through Windows

I'm not entirely new to Linux, but I decided to post this here because I'm not a very regular Linux user.

I've downloaded and burned a copy of the Kubuntu 9.10 Desktop CD (i386), and I've been having problems with the installer freezing up and my CD drive stopping, so I decided to install through Windows.

I've installed it on a secondary harddrive (D:\ in Windows). Everything worked fine and installed and so on, but apparently something went wrong when installing GRUB, so when I start up the computer, the Windows bootloader comes up with the options for Windows XP Home and Kubuntu. When I select Kubuntu, it then moves me to GRUB, where I have a single line, Windows XP Home, and it's flashing. From here I can't proceed.

I'm assuming it has something to do with installing it through windows to a secondary harddrive, as opposed to the primary one, but I've really got no clue. Any help is greatly appreciated, and thank you very much in advance.

Re: Issue with GRUB after Install Through Windows

Originally posted by Skudd
    I'm not entirely new to Linux, but I decided to post this here because I'm not a very regular Linux user.

I've downloaded and burned a copy of the Kubuntu 9.10 Desktop CD (i386), and I've been having problems with the installer freezing up and my CD drive stopping, so I decided to install through Windows.

I've installed it on a secondary harddrive (D:\ in Windows). Everything worked fine and installed and so on, but apparently something went wrong when installing GRUB, so when I start up the computer, the Windows bootloader comes up with the options for Windows XP Home and Kubuntu. When I select Kubuntu, it then moves me to GRUB, where I have a single line, Windows XP Home, and it's flashing. From here I can't proceed.

I'm assuming it has something to do with installing it through windows to a secondary harddrive, as opposed to the primary one, but I've really got no clue. Any help is greatly appreciated, and thank you very much in advance.
    When you say 'installed thru Windows' I'm assuming you used Wubi. Not many Wubi users here, try the Wubi forums at the Ubuntu forum perhaps, or you can try the fix suggessted in this thread : https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...in/+bug/477169 post 210, although since you are using another drive to run Kubuntu I'm not sure it applies.

Comment

Working...
    X