This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My boot into an OS freezes...??

I think the only way to make progress is to be a bit more clear in the description. When you say you took it off you mean you commented out the splash image line in grub.conf?

Could you please give a concise but clear diagnostic of where you are with this? I am very confused:

1. Can you boot Windows 7?
    2 Can you boot Kubuntu?
    (we know you can't boot gOS)
    3. Where are you booting from, as specified in the BIOS? This is NOT a partition, but rather a disk (sda or sdb).
    4. Where (in which partitions) exactly are kubuntu and gOS installed?

Did you see my post above? The only consistent way to boot is to chainload gOS (i.e. access gOS grub from Kibinti's) like you do with Windows: (see the +1). If you don;t chain load, you can get it to work now, but any changes (kernel upgrades) in gOS will force you to manually adjust things in Kubuntu's grub

Best!

Comment

Im sorry if i didnt gave enough info., thought that with what i shared would cover the important things...

So yes i can boot into windows 7 and kubuntu perfectly, im booting from sda (hd0,2) is a fat partition that i made where only grub is installed. Kubuntu is installed in sdb (hd1,3) and gOS is installed in sdb (hd1,1).

Thats all...il do the chainload to see if it works....

Comment

Now we are talking In order for chainloading to work you need to first boot into gOS and install grub onto /dev/sdb2 (its own partition) with grub install, so you still need a first boot (or to reinstall, and hope that the installer allows you to do that).

In order to get a first boot. Have you tried the suggestion above to remove the splash and quiet parameters in the gOs entry in Kubuntu's grub config file?. That alone might do if you have issues with the splash:

Code:
        kernel   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-17-generic root=UUID=2f186bf6-3416-47c2-b0b0-d4cdb5c7506b ro 
        initrd   /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-17-generic
        Even if it doesn't work, it will give you more info. Also: make sure that /boot/initrd.img-2.6.31-17-generic and vmlinuz-2.6.31-17-generic exist in that partition.

Good luck

Comment

So i have to install grub into sdb2 i can do it with kubuntu from console and access to the grub folder of goes with kubuntu also...cause there's no way gOS will boot thats why im posting this prob... :-X

And yeah i tryed the suggestion of taking of splash and as i said this was the error that appeared
          Begin:Mounting root file system... ......
          /init: /init : 160 : syntax error 0xaecee902-89e5-434e-bb2c-037113d91f95 [13.581804] Kernel panic - not syincing: attempted to kill init!
          Ill try what u said in the meanwhile...ill report the results shortly thanks again.

Comment

Ah, I missed that output before, sorry. Yes, I understand the problem, that's why I was hoping we can boot once in gOS to bootstrap the whole thing. Installing gOS's grub to /dev/sdb2 can only be done from gOS. After that, you will certainly need to do some additional work on kubuntu's side (make kubuntu's grub give control to gOS', as you do in windows).

At this point the easiest way to go is to re-install gOS, if at all possible, and be carefull to save gdub to /dev/sdb2, NOT TO THE MBR. it's not worth wasting any more time trying to get just one boot to go in gOS.

Comment

Lol...so i should reinstall i think and choose to install the bootloader...cause i tryed what u said before of installing grub to sdb1 (gOS) and no luck booting.

Comment

exactly! good luck!

Comment

Yeah!! finally got it to boot~!!!! the only thing that changed from the menu.lst that installed gOS is the UID that now instead of a large numbers says where in the sdb or sda is the partition of the OS i want to boot lol (the same!!!) and one file called linuxenv or something like that that now is gone...whatever i got it to work!! thanks guys.

Comment

Re: My boot into an OS freezes...??(solved)

Excellent, cheers!

Comment

Working...
                    X