X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing dependencies

Hello;
    I'm still fairly new to Linux and Kubuntu, I've been happily using it for almost roughly a week now and I've been pretty much "glitch-less" but today I got a strange error while checking for new software packages on "K-Package-Kit" it told there was dependencies missing, it told me to use a more advanced package manger such as Synaptic or Aptitude I tried looking for both of those and I don't have either nor can I find a relevant page to download them from, may someone please hand me a link to either of those or tell me perhaps another way to fix this issue?

Re: Missing dependencies

Just open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    It will show in K > Applications > System
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Missing dependencies

If you search for synaptic (no upper case letters) you will find it.

It may not solve the dependency problem. On rare occasions a developer will fail to publish all the dependent applications that a package requires, or a spelling typo may be the problem, etc.. So, synaptic may see the same problem. If it doesn't then that will be great. If it, too, warns of a dependency problem then wait a day or two and retry.

BTW, IMO, synaptic is the BEST package manager. I use it to add or remove individual packages.
      But, for updates and security patches, etc., I let the notifier send the info to kpackagekit, which pops up when I respond to the notification.

But, for desktop or dist upgrades I use apt-get:
      sudo apt-get udpate (to refresh the cache)
      sudo apt-get upgrade (to upgrade apps with new versions)
      or
      sudo apt-get dist-upgrade (to upgrade the distro itself, or KDE)

Adn, as Snowhog points out, apt-get is an excellent tool to install individual apps, IF you know the exact spelling of the app.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X